• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Specific Undergraduate Major Advice

I am a high-school senior in the midst of college applications. In my applications, many of the universities/colleges are asking me to apply to a specific school inside the college. However, I am unsure of which major will most directly get me to a masters in financial mathematics or a career as a quant. The majors I am looking at are from different schools within the university and thus I will have to differentiate between them before I apply.

Now, for Northwestern, would a major in:

Applied Mathematics
Combined BS/MS Applied Mathematics Program
Mathematics
Mathematics and Social Sciences
Economics
or
Statistics be most useful?
As well, would the same major be the best fit at other schools such as Notre Dame?

Note, I am willing and interested in double majoring.

Thanks in advance

You'll want a strong stat background but that will usually come as a byproduct from a quality stem degree. Stay close to technology and take a couple abstract math classes for good measure. I'm an industrial engineer minoring in math and gen business and I'll be starting my MS in quant finance next fall. Additionally, some Econ would be good but I'd minor in it at most. Take forecasting, econometrics or some other technical Econ classes. Quants are supposed to create things so be creative, do some research, and think outside the box.

Back