• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Spring Admissions Info

Hello all,

I was planning to apply for Columbia OR for the spring session. On this line, I was hoping if students currently enrolled could

1. provide some insights into the pros/cons of the same
2. shed some light on acceptance rate for spring semester
3. if the students enrolling for spring would be a part of separate class or would be included into the current class

Faisal shadefaliam

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I was planning to apply for Columbia OR for the spring session. On this line, I was hoping if students currently enrolled could

1. provide some insights into the pros/cons of the same
2. shed some light on acceptance rate for spring semester
3. if the students enrolling for spring would be a part of separate class or would be included into the current class

Faisal shadefaliam

Thanks in advance.

1. Pros: The spring semester is probably a less hectic first semester to start with hence you have a great chance to boost up your grades. You would also feel lesser heat of competition around you.
Cons: If you are an international, you would be missing out on summer internship opportunity. Also, there is a great variety of electives offered in the spring which you might have to miss out as there are core requirements to be fulfilled.
2. Not much idea about it. I am inclined to believe that it is not as competitive but there is nothing to support my presumption.
3. They are included in the same class.

there is a great variety of electives offered in the spring which you might have to miss out as there are core requirements to be fulfilled.

I guess I can take these electives in the next spring or my 3rd semester (assuming here that I extend the course up to 1.5 years) Regarding internships, I'll figure out something. And I already have 24 months of WE in development and analytics so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too much hassle.

Not much idea about it. I am inclined to believe that it is not as competitive but there is nothing to support my presumption.

would you have any idea how many students joined the last spring semester (if you're currently enrolled there)?

By that, I believe he meant only in the USA. Anywhere else, you can pretty much get one. The reason being international students aren't legally allowed to work in usa during the first one year of study (apart from on-campus jobs)

By that, I believe he meant only in the USA. Anywhere else, you can pretty much get one. The reason being international students aren't legally allowed to work in usa during the first one year of study (apart from on-campus jobs)

well, you can always find an internship after you graduate.

If it's not possible, how would UCB people do internship in summer? Well, they do internship as a part of their curriculum and get credits for it. So, maybe that's how they do it. But, I am not 100% sure, so I suggest you ask MSOR program!

Yep, regarding UCB, I'm not sure either but I did find out from another school that takes in students during spring that international students miss out on summer intern opportunity only in USA but generally do find one back home or in another country. More importantly, I think internship before one graduates helps one know what he/she further needs in terms of technical or mathematical expertise. So I'd rather know that in between my program so I can go back to school and gain it than learn that after I graduate and be in a bit of a fuss.

I'm also looking at 1.5 year option so I can fit in an internship after my 2nd semester. I could finish off some courses in the first summer if that's an option too.

Yep, regarding UCB, I'm not sure either but I did find out from another school that takes in students during spring that international students miss out on summer intern opportunity only in USA but generally do find one back home or in another country. Anyway, I'm looking at 1.5 year option so I can fit in an internship after my 2nd semester. I could finish off some courses in the first summer if that's an option too.

As I said, internship is part of their course at UCB and they get credit for it. I think that's one of the special cases when you can do CPT before one year of studying.

What will you concentrate in, what is your background, and what do you intend to do with your degree? I think it has a lot to do with that.

Back