• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stanford Financial Mathematics

So little information about the program at Stanford. The website doesn't look to be updated and even here in the forum, few threads about Stanford. How can we get more information? Any Quantnet Stanford members or alum? Does Stanford offer any online chat/webinar like Baruch and CMU did in the last couple of weeks?
Thank you.

Before applying to the Stanford program in December, I emailed them with some questions about GRE report submission and about the program. No one ever responded. I think they need better PR.

I ended up not applying to Stanford. I didn't think I match the profile they are looking for and the website was lacking a lot of information.
Better PR and some updates to the website is definitely needed.

The Stanford program is an outgrowth of its internal program so its website presence is not getting the attention it deserves in my opinion. It's frustrating to go see websites that seem not been updated since the Bush administration.
I don't know if they can afford PR, given the limited resource they have but that's always the case for programs who run out of Math/Stats/Engineering dept.

Just imagine every program that has a frequently updated website and responsive and transparent communication line. Quantnet will be out of business ;)

This is a manifestation of the "sour grapes" syndrome. Stanford doesn't need better PR nor funding. Currently there are 13 students enrolled in the program. Have you seen their profiles? I didn't even go through all of them and I saw 3 IMO (International Mathematical Olympiad) gold medalists.
Enough said.

P.S. I found all the information that I needed on the current page.
P.P.S. Why would anyone email when there is a phone number on the page?

So... what, I should automatically join the Math Finance program that has the most IMO gold medalists?

Most of the IMO participants in the program seem to be pursuing a Bachelors or PhD concurrently. Just because there are bright mathematics students in their own math department doesn't necessarily mean that the program is simply the best by all metrics.

This is a manifestation of the "sour grapes" syndrome. Stanford doesn't need better PR nor funding. Currently there are 13 students enrolled in the program. Have you seen their profiles? I didn't even go through all of them and I saw 3 IMO (International Mathematical Olympiad) gold medalists.
Enough said.

P.S. I found all the information that I needed on the current page.
P.P.S. Why would anyone email when there is a phone number on the page?
Emailing is much better when you have many questions. It is much easier to lay out your questions in number format so that they can all be answered. I never call.

Also, this is my first time looking at that page and it contains almost no information. I'll have to join the sour grapes. :D

So... what, I should automatically join the Math Finance program that has the most IMO gold medalists?

Most of the IMO participants in the program seem to be pursuing a Bachelors or PhD concurrently. Just because there are bright mathematics students in their own math department doesn't necessarily mean that the program is simply the best by all metrics.
Yes, true, except that my argument was that the program simply doesn't need PR not that you should join nor that it is the best (which I totally think it is by the way). :)

Back