• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stanford ICME Masters: Which track should I apply to?

Hi all,

I'll be applying to the ICME masters program next year, and I am looking for advice on whether I should apply to the data science vs. computational finance track. I am a CS/Stats major with SWE internships, so my profile is much more suited for the data science track. However, I am seeking a masters because I want to transition into quant finance, so my top choice is comp. finance, but I have 0 prior internships in finance.

Some questions I have are:
  1. Which track should I apply to, given that (i) my top choice is the finance track, (ii) I have no finance work experience, and (iii) my profile is much more relevant for data science?
  2. Is it possible to switch tracks once you're in the program? If so, I am thinking it might be a good idea to apply to data science, but I've also heard there are far more applicants for DS than there are for finance, so I might have better chances applying to finance in this case.
Thanks!

You should 300%, and without a shred of a doubt, pick the computational finance track. Note that training in computational finance will prepare you for a career in data science. But not the other way around. Come back to thank me in 10 years.

Back