• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stanford MS Statistics

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if anyone could give me some info about Stanford's MS program in Statistics for someone wanting to pursue a career in quantitative finance.
In fact you can kind of tailor the program in a very interesting way : courses in stochastic processes, mathematical finance, SDEs, PDEs, fixed income, monte carlo methods, statistical methods in finance and so on...

My question is related to job opportunities in quantitative analytics or quantitative trading after this degree. Can the Stanford brandname compensate the fact that it's called "MS in Statistics"?

My feeling is that if you tailor the curriculum conveniently, the program seems to be very interesting coursewise, but my main concern is what recruiters in banks and hedge funds might think.

Thanks a lot

Another interesting thing is the class size (15 or so), and considering other people want to do other stuff such as biostats and so on, it's a positive aspect (even if there are 20 other students in the MSFM program). What do you guys think?

Stanford has a program in Math Finance. You are trying to see if are able to compete with graduates with other programs that are specifically designed for these jobs.
You may customize your study whatever way you want but at the end, you can't 100% replicate what people get in a dedicated MFE, Math Finance program. It's more expensive and difficult to get into the "real programs" for a reason.

Back