• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Starting a hedge fund.. Yes one of those questions

Hi Guys

Im new to the forum here, this is my first post.. And I want to start a hedge fund like 1 billion other people do. I want to start a value investing fund and commodities and ect and play with oil and credit markets, and other things

How do hedge funds raise capital and get investors.. besides perfomance.. My family and friends are not millionaires.. so how do i find the wealthy circles besides a persons alumni? Which is a good start.

but theres some guys that can raise capital from anywhere.. where to find it.. what are resources, and what do i say? and is there any help?

and if I cannot get investors or clients and raise capital.. i wanted to be a trader and prove my trades so that investors can find me

I know this has been probably covered before, but interested in becoming a trader, AND HOW do i find companies banks/ firms/ that are hiring. the purpose is that i want my performance out that so that I can start a hedge fund and have clients.​
cleardot.gif

I saw that Raymond Dalio and Carl Icahn, and several others had broker/trader jobs

How do i get the experience to be taken seriously by firms? And how can I build a investment trading record as im working as a trader? and build client base working through a firm/bank/botique?

I believe Ray Dalio started on the floor. then he was head of the Commodities division at a firm..

It is the experience he recieved on the floor that got him the job as head of the commodities desk.. it is the relationships and the paper proof of successful trades that got his hedge fund started

and How do i find clients when im a trader? how do I find high net worth investors and of the likes?

and my major is a graduate tri-major Law/economics/computer science.
If i have my PhD in economics, will i be over qualified?
I heard the CFA is a good start to merit experience, and trading at a prop firm..

but other than that.. what else can i do to get competitive edge

keep in mind that the goal is to start a hedge fund or small partnership.. and i want the people to find me and for me to find the people

Whats the best way to get in the door?
some of these questions are rather dumb.. but i'd rather ask a dumb question than to not ask it at all.. at least ill know one way or the other.

please help

1. be patient.
2. network.
3. Take a (or several) huge bank loan(s).

Assuming you have the skills to maintain your hedge funds, your assets will grow steadily, if not, exponentially.

Otherwise, repeat steps 1 and 2.

I haven't heard anyone who started Billion $ hedge fund right after school. I guess you may need to acquire some skills (I am not sure what skills you need)while building track record.

In terms of skill, I don't think there is any rule book out there saying "you've got to have this one skill".

I don't think your educational qualification matters, since every Ivy league grdss want to start their own HF ( this is not meant to discourage you). How many of them actually started?

I would find a job some where to further explore.

Good luck!

I haven't heard anyone who started Billion $ hedge fund right after school. I guess you may need to acquire some skills (I am not sure what skills you need)while building track record.

In terms of skill, I don't think there is any rule book out there saying "you've got to have this one skill".

I don't think your educational qualification matters, since every Ivy league grdss want to start their own HF ( this is not meant to discourage you). How many of them actually started?

I would find a job some where to further explore.

Good luck!

Andy Nguyen
Andy should bring atleast one Hf manager here to find out more?

People aren't going to give you money without you having a track record of making money.

Depending on what role you want in a hedge fund there are multiple paths you could take, PhD in economics being one of them.

My advice is to get an internship then graduate and get a job as an analyst and get your CFA (2-3 years). From there you'll have a better idea what you want to do and what you need to do it. Keep working? MBA? PhD?

Keep in mind that for top PhD programs you will need great references from professors (make friends now and keep in contact) and research experience (consider trying to work with professors as an undergraduate).

Good luck! It's all I can say. I hope you have a good Plan B given how blow he chinces of success are in any venture like this. It's very tough. Aagain, good luck!

Back