• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stochastic Calculus Book for Actuaries

Sorry to add to the plethora of "recommend me a book" posts, but I'm getting desperate after trying a few titles myself and having problems with them being too theoretical or not having a thorough solutions manual. Can anyone recommend a good book with which I can teach myself stochastic processes and very basic stochastic calculus? Preferably the book will be as un-theoretical as possible and have a solutions manual so I can check my work and not feel as if I'm crawling around in the dark. The kinds of questions I need to be able to answer are like the following: https://www.soa.org/globalassets/assets/files/edu/2021/fall/exams/fall-2021-exam-qfiqf.pdf

(For some background, I'm an actuary and I am beginning my fellowship study with the Society of Actuaries taking their quantitative finance and investments track. The contents of the track are not nearly as technical/mathematical as would be required for a quant. But, some of the exams assume previous knowledge of basic stochastic processes and basic applied stochastic calculus - strongly emphasizing their applications in financial modeling. The questions deal with the topic at a beginner-to-intermediate level with a few practical calculation type problems. I have a bachelor's in mathematics with a solid understanding of basic probability theory, but I've never studied stochastic processes or stochastic calculus so I need a speedy-ish way to learn the topics enough to answer basic questions).

stochastic process is nothing more than just a a sum of random variable (as increments).

Given you have solid understanding of basic prob, i would suggest you to stick it through Shrev's book. You can try not to pay much attention to chapter 1 & 2 (just read it to get the idea of why they define probability space in such way. honestly to me it is just to describe the information at given time & events associated with it mathematically), but really starting focusing on chapter 3.

If you still not be able to do it, then most likely you miss some numerical skills. I would suggest review your calculus/ODE classes.

stochastic process is nothing more than just a a sum of random variable (as increments).

Given you have solid understanding of basic prob, i would suggest you to stick it through Shrev's book. You can try not to pay much attention to chapter 1 & 2 (just read it to get the idea of why they define probability space in such way. honestly to me it is just to describe the information at given time & events associated with it mathematically), but really starting focusing on chapter 3.

If you still not be able to do it, then most likely you miss some numerical skills. I would suggest review your calculus/ODE classes.
Hey @PepeQuant,

I didn't slot my time well, earlier, so haven't read Shreve.

But, I have begun reading: A first course in Stochastic Calculus. It felt like a very nice applied and practical book for a first read, with basic results proven. What do you think of this particular one?

Quasar.

Last edited:

That description is not even wrong.

Back