• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stony Brook MS in Quantitative Finance? - Good?

Hi,
Can someone let me know how good a MS in Quantitativel Finance is from Stony Brook is terms of respectability? I also have a offer from Rutgers for MS in Mathematical Finance. I want to pursue a PhD after my MS, so trying to analyze how good Stony Brook's program is.

Thanks!

I like Stony Brook very much. I actually looked at their Applied Math degree in the past(before MFE) and liked their curriculum very much. I can't help you with your decision, though :|
I don't know if my info is going to help you, but these degrees are job oriented degrees, are they really good for future PhD students?

Why did they let you into the program knowing that you want to do PhD afterward? Or didn't you tell them?
Many MFE programs would flatly reject you as you are not a good fit for their career-oriented program.
And MFE is not the best way to prepare for a PhD. You may as well apply directly.

The goal of this program is to produce applied mathematicians who specialize in finance, rather than finance majors who are well-trained mathematically. Our objective is to produce professionals who are capable of making significant, leading edge contributions at the highest levels of practice and research. Unlike many programs which offer a terminal Masters degree with no opportunity to go on to a doctorate, students who are sufficiently motivated and talented can continue on towards a Ph.D. at Stony Brook. They also have the opportunity to work with a number of different professors involved in research across a number of different fields.

This is straight from the Stony Brook website, it seems they accommodate students that want to continue to PhD and state this fact openly in the SOP

@Andy Yes, I had mentioned in my SOP that I wanted to go on and do a PhD.
@ atreides and roni, I like the Stony Brook program too esp because it has a PhD program.
@All Thanks for such quick replies! I'll probably wait for results from other universities before taking a final call.

Incase anyone has any info as to how Stony Brook's Applied Math department is, please do let me know.

Thanks again.

And MFE is not the best way to prepare for a PhD. You may as well apply directly.

Which program prepares you for PhD better? I have got an admission for MBA and want to move to PhD afterwards. Isn't it a good choice?

@Tsotne Well,that might be one line of reasoning. My point is that I am very clear which direction I want my PhD to take and a generic MBA is not going to be of any value add to me. Also most of the PhD in mathematical finance programs have coursework requirements which seem to include most of the MFE coursework.

Having said all that, I have also applied for PhD programs directly where I am not too sure if I will be accepted as I don't have a masters degree nor any major publications to my name. Hence MFE is my first step. Likewise, MBA might be the first step for someone else, I do know a lot of people who have followed your path and been successful.

@Tsotne Well,that might be one line of reasoning. My point is that I am very clear which direction I want my PhD to take and a generic MBA is not going to be of any value add to me. Also most of the PhD in mathematical finance programs have coursework requirements which seem to include most of the MFE coursework.

Having said all that, I have also applied for PhD programs directly where I am not too sure if I will be accepted as I don't have a masters degree nor any major publications to my name. Hence MFE is my first step. Likewise, MBA might be the first step for someone else, I do know a lot of people who have followed your path and been successful.

Thanks. What is your prior education? MFE is the first step?

@abcd
First off, congratulations, both schools you mention are reputable. If you're motivated and destined to pursue your PhD after the MS in Quant Finance at Stony Brook (which I think is a wonderful idea), then I think that Stony Brook is the best choice. I reckon that if you do well in the MS program, connect with professors, demonstrate that you're a top performer, it shouldn't be difficult to parlay yourself into Stony Brook's PhD program. Stony Brook is top ten in Applied Mathematics and recognizes quantitative finance as a sub-disclipline of applied mathematics, so there will be no shortage of talented researchers willing to tackle the most difficult quantitative finance problems.

Alternatively, if you choose Rutgers MSMF--you're still looking at developing a strong foundation in math. Unlike other programs, Rutgers offers a pure Masters in Mathematics degree, which I think is appealing to most PhD Math programs.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Back