• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stony Brook University MS Quantitative Finance

Hi all,
First post on here... currently a junior undergraduate double major in Applied Math and Economics at Stony Brook itself and I am highly interested in the MS Quant Finance program. Wondering those of you who have been admitted what your stats/ profile has looked like. I have ~3.9/4 in my Math Major courses with a 3.94 overall GPA. Been working at a Wealth Management firm as a Research Analyst/ Port Management intern the past year. I plan on TA'ing a course in the spring semester so I can get a good recommendation letter from a faculty member.
I guess I am wondering the acceptance rate of the program since it advertises that it is "highly competitive".

Its competitive in the sense that 160+q on quantiative is a hard target, keep in mind they are only dropping the GRE requirement for two years. But its not super duper competitive till the point you need a 165q + and a high verbal score on the gre. I do not recommend this program since employment prospects are pretty bleak at stonybrook for QF

Last edited:
Its competitive in the sense that 160+q on quantiative is a hard target, keep in mind they are only dropping the GRE requirement for two years. But its not super duper competitive till the point you need a 165q + and a high verbal score on the gre. I do not recommend this program since employment prospects are pretty bleak at stonybrook for QF
"Employment prospects are pretty bleak" where can I find this information/ statistics? I have heard mixed opinions of this--- thanks.

Back