• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

subject gre

Hi frnds...
I am visiting this site for last 2 months and have learned a lot about FE programs.
I am planning to apply for some MSMF program in fall 2009. I am still in my college and will be passing in may 2009.
I recently took gre and got ( 800quant+630verbal). As my overall undergrad grads as well maths grads are poor (6.5/10) so I am planning to take maths gre this nov.
1. Please somebody tell me that what percentile will suffice me to get into a good school. any top 15 schools...
2. Please give me some general idea like what percentile is considered good and what will be considered very good ?
3. What percentile will be considered outstanding to compensate for my undergrad maths grad ?
I understand that no profile evaluation is done here and nor am asking for any but I really need to get this question answered and I think there is no better place to ask it.....

My profile in short...
1. undergrad from iit kharagpur in dept of ece with a gpa 6.5/10
2. Gre 800+630 awa waiting ..
3. CFA level 1 qualified....
no work exp....

plz someone reply... This is imp. for me.. last date for reg. is approaching and I am not sure weather I should take it or not ???? Regards kapil

Your original post is only 2 hours old, no need to panic about lack of replies.

I believe it has been previously said that 75% on the Math-GRE is good for a masters program.

Hi krel thanks for your response... Ok lets say 75% is good enough... What will be the likely scene if I manage to get a percentile score around 90..... Will it compensate for my grades for sure ? Thanks guys for atelast reading my query.... Please give your opinions... With all due respect Andy I think I can expect a reply from you on this question. :)

Try to get good GRE Math. With your profile, I would rather pay more time to try to find a relevant work experience. The GRE Math isn't likely to boost your profile that much more.
If I were the admission guy, I would prefer a 800 GRE guy with experience over a 800 GRE + GRE Math guy.
If you are in India now, try to get in DB or some of the European banks that set up their shops there.
In short, if you have prepared for the exam well, take it and do well. Then go find a job/internship.

Back