• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Summer refresher course 2008

Hi,

1) I am not very clear on the Summer refresher course bit.As I understood from Prof Dan, international students may not be able to attend it due to some visa constrictions.In lieu of this, I'd like to know as to when the international students usually arrive for the commencement of the course.

2)Can you please suggest me some books that I can start reading to acclimatize myself with what is to follow.

3)The Baruch site has no internship stats. Can you please let me know the kind of internships offered this year with due consideration to the perceived receding economy.

Thanks
Sach

1) The only restriction preventing int'l students to participate in summer refresher courses is the visa policy that only allows them to enter the US 30 days prior to the beginning of Fall semester. I don't know if this is worldwide policy or only applied to a few countries. The summer courses start in early June so if you can enter by then, you can take all the courses. I believe most int'l students arrive in Aug.
If you are int'l and already studying in the US prior to Baruch, then it's not a problem at all.

2) The list of the books is on my signature. We use a lot of them for the courses.

3) The internship data will be on our website when we reveal the new design shortly. As far as number goes, we had 100% placement for internship during summer 2007 which is the first time we keep tab of internship numbers.

Surely the way to get around Creationist immigration laws is for Baruch to set the semester to begin earlier ?

Dominic,
I don't know what the immigration rules are in the Queens empire but at every college, university in the US that are allowed to admit international students, there is an office called variously International Student Services office headed by a person called Immigration liaison officer whose sole job is to relay, execute all the changing rules to int'l students.

This person has the power to extend visa, sign on I-20, OPT. Without this person's signature or approval, one can get into a deep maze called US immigration.

So it doesn't matter if you are Baruch or Havard, you can do nada, zit, zero. All you can do is to follow the rules by letter and hope that somewhere along the line, nothing screws up.

Much has been discussed recently about changing the US immigration practice but again, this is an election year so there isn't much to hope about.

That is discussion for the other thread.

Course Structure

Hi,

Can someone provide me with the rough schedule for the session starting Fall-2008 in terms of the semester start and end months (like 1st Sem Aug-Dec etc) and the internship schedule.

Thanks
Sach

Hi,

2)Can you please suggest me some books that I can start reading to acclimatize myself with what is to follow.
Sach

Start reading Hull's book. (Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives, by John C. Hull)
This will give you an idea about the basic financial instruments in the market.

You will find the details of the book in Andy's master book list

You may also revise your undergrad. numerical analysis course (if time permits)

Thanks Anshul,

Just one doubt though...where does the internship fit into the scheme of things?

Back