• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Supported Compilers

Hi Everyone,
I am ready to enroll in this course. Just wanted to confirm the environment requirement for this course.
MacBook Pro with gcc compiler which can build C+11 binaries using std=C+11 flag along with
emacs/sublime text as editor is sufficient or the course has some other guideline. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Hi Everyone,
I am ready to enroll in this course. Just wanted to confirm the environment requirement for this course.
MacBook Pro with gcc compiler which can build C+11 binaries using std=C+11 flag along with
emacs/sublime text as editor is sufficient or the course has some other guideline. Any feedback will be appreciated.
VS is strongly recommended (on a pc)

@currentipnis
You can use a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, etc) and install Windows with Visual Studio on it and save yourself a lot of headache.
Thanks Palley and Andey.
I will have to buy a windows - Parallels/VMWare lic ?
Is there a student edition of these software ?
I will check if I can get it from Columbia Univ.

Many students have successfully used xcode on mac. For levels 1-7, xcode should be no problem at all. Levels 8&9 may be more difficult, and you can switch to a PC fit those two levels. Xcode is free

Visual Studio on Windows is great. Many people use it.
Big user base to help with support etc.

Many students have successfully used xcode on mac. For levels 1-7, xcode should be no problem at all. Levels 8&9 may be more difficult, and you can switch to a PC fit those two levels. Xcode is free
It seems like Xcode is working on Mac, however, I am having a hard time running Visual Studio, I am not even sure if it's going work even. So the advice you would give me is to find a PC with Visual Studio,,,

It seems like Xcode is working on Mac, however, I am having a hard time running Visual Studio, I am not even sure if it's going work even. So the advice you would give me is to find a PC with Visual Studio,,,
This is a well-known discussion here.
What about VM product?
@APalley

VS cannot return on mac without a VM

Back