• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Survival rates

DanM

Math Student
So I'm writing code (in C++) for calculating the joint probability of default between two entities using the Gaussian Copula method (not for school or work - just to improve my C++ skills and to gain a better understanding of default risk, etc).

I've been successful in implementing the copula, but I have a question regarding the inputs for the marginal probabilities. Is it correct to compute the survival rates (from 0 to t) as follows,

(S(t)=e^{-\int_{0}^{t}\lambda (t)dt}\)

for both entities, where (\lambda \) is the default intensity, and then use that as the marginal probabilities for the Gaussian Copula?

sure, you can use the discrete form of
S(t) = exp(- SigmaSum( lambda(t).dt)), and specify the lambda(t) for each discrete time period.

Back