• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Taking math classes post grad

Hi there,

I am graduating with a degree in econ and a minor in math. I will be working in risk advisory services post grad for an international company. Recently, I have been talking to people who are on the quant side and I am very interested in the work that they are doing.

I’ve checked the course requirements for programs such as Georgia Tech’s QCF and UCLA’s ms in fin engineering program and I realize that I am missing calculus based prob stats, diff eq, and an upper level CS class. I’ve taken linear algebra, upper level modeling, Calc I-III, basic stats, and I have work experience using JavaScript, python, SQL.

Can I take the classes that I am missing while working and apply to quant finance programs 2-3 years down the road, or is an mba the only program that would make sense for someone like me?

Many thanks!

I was in a similar position and took the classes you mentioned while working full time through Columbia CVN. I just applied for the coming Fall for full-time MSFE programs so I don't know if it has paid off yet, but I would still say definitely take the classes, CVN is a good way to do it.

I was in a similar position and took the classes you mentioned while working full time through Columbia CVN. I just applied for the coming Fall for full-time MSFE programs so I don't know if it has paid off yet, but I would still say definitely take the classes, CVN is a good way to do it.
Thanks for the info @Kurz! Can you tell me about the experience of taking those classes while working?

you can take night or online courses to fill your requirements. I graduated with a finance degree and then took post-grad math courses at night. I took 1-3 courses every semester while working for year and half. Start with 1 course, but 2 was a good sweet spot or me. My work itself wasn't too difficult so I had time to study, but still generally busy.

Just want to add that I graduate with no math, did math classes at night, and now I'm in the CMU MSCF. It can be done.
Can you please share your experience? Where did you take classes? Did you do it on your own or through a credible institution?
you can take night or online courses to fill your requirements. I graduated with a finance degree and then took post-grad math courses at night. I took 1-3 courses every semester while working for year and half. Start with 1 course, but 2 was a good sweet spot or me. My work itself wasn't too difficult so I had time to study, but still generally busy.
Same question as above.

Thank you!

absolutely possible. I did the same. A lot of universities have an evening program - often same classes as the undergrad colleges.

It worked for me, got into 3/4 schools I applied to.

I'd avoid summer classes - work definitely suffered with those. I could only swing one regular class at a time, but I had a pretty demanding job.

absolutely possible. I did the same. A lot of universities have an evening program - often same classes as the undergrad colleges.

It worked for me, got into 3/4 schools I applied to.

I'd avoid summer classes - work definitely suffered with those. I could only swing one regular class at a time, but I had a pretty demanding job.
are you referring to online or in-person classes? Can you mention some? I'm located in the UK

You can take ODE and Probability from MIT online through edX. The courses tend to be reasonably priced but very rigorous. Not for the faint hearted.

Can you please share your experience? Where did you take classes? Did you do it on your own or through a credible institution?

Same question as above.

Thank you!
Depends on whether you consider University of Toronto credible I suppose. Uh it's a lot of work; I did two classes per semester + CFA + work 60hr/wk for about three years. But it was doable.

Last edited:

Same question as above.

Thank you!
I went to baruch college in new york, which i would count it as credible. Most important thing for me was receiving credits and a grade for the course. I was hesitant on online certificates because they may not be taken seriously, even if it's MIT, with the exception of quantnet c++.

Definitely busy and I even attempted the cfa L2 at one point. If you stick to one course I think it's pretty doable for anyone. take probability asap. if UK schools have summer semesters I would start looking into that, and then obviously more in the fall. You can try applying for 2022 even if you don't hit all the requirement.

tbh it's all time management. I was horrible at it in college lol

I did in person classes, as at the time most programs required grades from accredited programs. Quantnet C++ and DataSim being the main exceptions.

Baruch classes are now online, and it's possible many programs have relaxed their standards.

All the same, make sure the classes you're taking count for credit.

Back