• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Taleb and scalable careers

After I read Fooled by Randomness, I was inspired: Taleb/Nero's trading style, of steady bleeding in anticipation of huge gains, and his profiting from the stubborn human vices of failing to acknowledge Black Swans and assuming the world would conform to mathematical models, seemed like something I'd like to explore professionally.

Naturally, when I finished that book I went on to devour The Black Swan. Having romanticized the excitement of his career while occasionally disparaging steady, "unscalable" jobs as boring, he then goes on to say "But don't do what I did! I was just in the right place at the right time!", citing monstrous, unfair payoffs to the lucky as sufficient deterrent from the life of a trader.

I treat this advice as I treat all advice these days: I neither accept nor reject it, but just keep it in mind as I grow and learn, trying not to think too much about it until it becomes relevant.

Nevertheless, I am still put off by the apparent contradiction. I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on this issue. Also, many of you work in the financial sector of NYC or another big city; do you know any successful traders who are willing to look at Taleb's arguments with stone-cold realism--i.e., willing to consider, with balanced humility, the role of luck in their success?

As Jim Simons puts it:

"I don't come to work thinking 'Am I smart today?'. I come to work thinking 'Am I lucky today?'."

As for Black Swans, it seems almost every single time they've popped up, the stat-arb funds were on the right side of that trade. Thorp made a ton of money on Black Monday. Jim Simons made 160% in Medallion last year. (80% net of fees, which are paid back to the fund. So it's simply a diffusion of wealth from the top to the bottom of the salary scale at RenTec, not so much a fee)

Shaw nearly ate it when LTCM went under, but recovered from that quite handily.

The kinds of Black Swans that Taleb is talking about IMO are simply a punishment for being immensely stupid.

Back