• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

TAMU vs. NCSU vs. UCONN vs. SUNY

Hello,

I have received the following admits:
1) TAMU- MS Economics (Financial econometrics track)
2) UCONN- MS BAPM
3) SUNY- MS Quantitative Finance
4) NCSU - MS Financial Mathematics.

I have done my bachelors & masters in Economics & have 1.5 yrs of experience in Economic Research .
Which one of the above do you think would be the best univ. for me, keeping jobs in mind?
Notes:
1) SUNY's course is preferred , but it does not have the brand value like TAMU.
2) TAMU's course is not that rigorous , but has new courses in Finance & computational lang. Moreover, it has the reqd. brand.

Please kindly help seniors.

I

Hi Vaibhav I'm really not familiar with any of these schools except for SUNY. SUNY is a good school but I'm not sure it's worth paying out-of-state tuition for. You may want to keep your current job.

@GoIllini :
Ok. Actually, I will be quitting my job soon.
I thought Texas A&M & North Carolina State Univ are both a big brand.
and frankly I want to attend SUNY.. but its the same thing.. I am not sure.. if I will land up with a big job after the course.!

Oh, North Carolina Chapel Hill? I was wondering what NCSU stood for. All else being equal, NC State has the strongest overall brand of the state schools. But it's not a huge edge and SUNY may beat it on proximity.

Honestly these schools may not be worth quitting a tolerable econ research or consulting job over. It will be difficult to land a front office trading role out of these schools, although risk management may be possible.

I really am not as qualified as other people to answer this. I can tell you all about the Northeastern private schools for MFEs, but I'm not very good at ranking the state schools.

My honest advice is to wait until you can get into a top ~15 program. If you're international you may also want to consider schools in the UK.

Last edited:
Actually the thing is, I am in India right now and plan to come to US for my second Masters.

After I quit, I will be having 1.5 years of Econ. research experience in BNY Mellon. Do you think this will help me to get a Quantitative Research job in a reputed Asset Management company?

I'm not sure.

I think that with your background, Cornell, UChicago, NYU, and Baruch are possibilities for applying next year. Same with LSE and LBS.

I think that with where your career is, you can do better and should wait a year.

I really think the ideal situation would be for BNY to get you an L1 visa to the US if that is your goal. If you transfer internally, that's relatively straightforward. It also saves you a year of tuition while earning you a year of US-based salary.

Back