• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Technical Interview for Quant Research Internship at J.P. Morgan

Hello guys,
Next week I have a technical interview for an internship as Quant in J.P. Morgan.
It is a phone interview and they told me it should take no more than 45 minutes.

What should I expect??

Thank you all in advance.

know your resume.
know the job description.
know why that role.

know your resume.
know the job description.
know why that role.
Dear mfegrsad,
thank you for the advice.
However, in the email I received, they wrote that it's gonna be financial maths, brainteasers, motivational stuff and programming. Dont think will be so general just about resume, job description and why I want to apply to that role. I have no experience though, so I might be wrong.

it'll probably be brainteasers and tech questions, so read Heard On The Street and Frequently Asked Questions in Quantitative Finance.

Well for starters know:
Black Scholes derivation
Greeks
FRA,FRN
IRS and CDS
Options (Vanilla, common exotics), Put-Call-Parity
Risk-Neutrality, Probability
Binomial Asset Pricing/ Trinomial

C++
VBA

Brainteasers

These are pretty much fair game at any quant interview. The more impressive the role, the bigger chance you have of getting Ito's Lemma, stochastic, probability... questions.

Hello guys,
Next week I have a technical interview for an internship as Quant in J.P. Morgan.
It is a phone interview and they told me it should take no more than 45 minutes.

What should I expect??

Hi Mardic...i have a quick question...how many days it took for JP Morgan to get back to you regarding phone interview? Did you apply through their online career website? I applied a week ago..not heard anything from them...thanks!!

Hi Mardic...i have a quick question...how many days it took for JP Morgan to get back to you regarding phone interview? Did you apply through their online career website? I applied a week ago..not heard anything from them...thanks!!

Hi, well if you are talking about waiting time before the contacted me to arrange a phone interview ... well it is long time. And I guess depends on the amount of applications they have. In my case it was around one month, and I applied by career website.
If you are talking about the time it takes to know the outcome of the interview ... that is few days.

Hope this helps.
Best

Don't expect anything super-technical that requires a lot of thinking or will show whether you really know computer programming. It's a phone interview. Most of it will be general. You should also use the time to ask questions about the internship position, who you are going to work with, what they do and whatever else you can ask to show interest and to learn what they want. That could easily take a lot of time out of the 45 minutes. If Ito's lemma or something like that is mentioned, that doesn't mean they have a way to ask questions to see whether you know the stuff. It's for the next interview that's in person. Be more afraid of non-technical questions if you are not prepared.

Actually, asking about Ito's Lemma would be very easy to do in a phone interview (maybe not derive BS or solve an SDE, but there are several less involved examples). Similarly, I wouldn't rule out having to provide pseudocode on the phone (haven't encountered in BB interview yet, but have done so for prop trading firms).

I guess anything's possible and they may even ask you to right some code over the phone. Chances are against it. Didn't mean to say nothing technical can be discussed. Simply think that or a big bank this is only preliminary screening. Maybe wrong. You can prepare much besides what's been suggested and having your own questions ready.

Hello guys,

What should I expect??

Hey Mardic,
how was your interview? Did you get an answer from the HR?
I also got the first round, but I am still waiting for an answer !!!

Back