• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Testing whether arbitrage opportunities exist in term structure

Hi guys,

I'm simulating a term structure via the Vasicek model and then adding some spread to that curve. My final product is the curve with which I will discount my cash flows with. I am wondering how I can check to see whether any arbitrage opportunities exist on my simulated curve. Can you guys explain to me how to do this and whether you have any algorithmic/code suggestions I should keep in mind when I implement this.

Thanks

Arbitrage cannot exist with only one quoted rate. You have to arbitrage your rates against something else. So the short answer is that there are no arbitrage opportunities in your curve because that would be impossible.

If you do not calibrate your models to the market instrument being traded (the observables), any interest rate-based instrument (let's say zero coupon bond) that is being priced by your models , would introduce arbitrage opportunities for others, since almost surely, it (again using as example a zero coupon bond) would be mispriced (either too high or too low).

I suggest you calibrate your models (i.e. tweak the model parameters) so that at least you can approximate the value of zero-coupon bonds (or anything equivalent) being traded on the market.

Back