• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The eternal multiple offers struggle

Greetings,

I am an Oxford educated physicist and I am currently in the fortunate position that I hold unconditional offers to study

(a) Risk Management & Financial Engineering at Imperial College London.
(b) Financial Mathematics at King's College London.
(c) Financial Mathematics at Cass Business School.

Having researched the nature of the programmes via the official websites, I am now interested in getting an impression of the 'educational zeitgeist' of the Quant community. Quite simply: which of the above MScs do YOU think would maximize my investment bank employment chances post graduation?

I should add that I am waiting to hear back from LSE as well (also financial mathematics).

Thanks,

TheComplexUnit

I would personally go to Imperial out of these three. The program is great. Imperial also has more prestige compared to the other ones (of course speaking about prestige in the London city). Their program is also more applied, I haven't really see Cass and King's but definitely more applied than LSE. If you get in at LSE then consider LSE and drop Cass and King's. I believe in this field they cannot compare with Imperial or LSE. But this is just my personal opinion after some research ( I did apply to some schools in the UK this year). Good luck in taking the best decision for you ;)

Among these three, I guess Imperial should be the better.

Have you tried Oxford's MCF program? Since you have an Oxford degree already, it might be easier for you to get in Oxford's program. But this is just my personal guess.

Man Imperial's Risk MAnagement and Financial Engineering is one of the best in Europe. Hosted in the business school, middle of london and backed by excellent career services! I met with London's Nomura guys last year and the told me that they regard highly the graduates of Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford and they go there to do recruitment presentations every year. Still, the location of Imperial gives it an edge over the rest. As for Cass & King's College, they haven't even mentioned them!
I believe in your case there shouldn't be a struggle in first place. It's very straight forward. Good luck

Among these three, I guess Imperial should be the better.

Have you tried Oxford's MCF program? Since you have an Oxford degree already, it might be easier for you to get in Oxford's program. But this is just my personal guess.

Thanks, Wuzhemin. Having suffered through the third-rate Mathematical Methods courses of the Physics Department, I am inevitably left grossly unprepared for the MCF admissions test. Furthermore, I have grown increasingly fond of the notion of immersing myself in the buzzy London environment, rather than the borderline drab and claustrophobic Oxonian 'bubble'.

Back