• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The joys of living in England

And everyone speaks English in Amsterdam!

It's useful to know at least one other European language -- probably German or something close (like Dutch). France now seems to be joining Club Med so the romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian) are for losers. Pax Germanica is here to stay so may as well learn the language of the conquerors.

if in the UK the wages are kissing the ground, in France it's already deeply under the ground, that's why

Well, dunno about that; I can believe it for Poland, though. If you said that unemployment is higher in France or that there's more labor demand in certain categories in London, it might also make sense.

It's useful to know at least one other European language -- probably German or something close (like Dutch). France now seems to be joining Club Med so the romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian) are for losers. Pax Germanica is here to stay so may as well learn the language of the conquerors.

Unless it was King Charles V
Charles is: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse."

50 years ago educated Dutch people spoke German, English, French.

No point learning German as Germans speak excellent English.

No point learning German as Germans speak excellent English.

It is the same in Norway -- but the English they speak is stilted and formal and of course they don't speak it among themselves but only with utlending (foreigners) and as an andrespråk (second language) or even fremmedspråk (foreign language). If you really want to deal with them, it has to be in their native tongue -- og man må øve uansett feil (and one must practice regardless of mistakes). So I speak in my botched and hideous Norwegian, with my atrocious accent, rather than English. In any case I consider it a personal disgrace that they can speak my language but I can't speak theirs.

It is the same in Norway -- but the English they speak is stilted and formal and of course they don't speak it among themselves but only with utlending (foreigners) and as an andrespråk (second language) or even fremmedspråk (foreign language). If you really want to deal with them, it has to be in their native tongue -- og man må øve uansett feil (and one must practice regardless of mistakes). So I speak in my botched and hideous Norwegian, with my atrocious accent, rather than English. In any case I consider it a personal disgrace that they can speak my language but I can't speak theirs.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

I know people who have lived in NL for > 30 years and speak NO Dutch...

I know people who have lived in NL for > 30 years and speak NO Dutch...

They must surely be Brits, and probably take a perverse pride in not knowing a word of the local lingo ("I say, old chap, can't you understand a word of English?"). Used to see them in Spain all the time.

Back