• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

the problem of using the out-of-the-monety options to calibrate by FFT

HI,
i want to calibrate the model of BNS,VG,Heston model to the market options data of HongKong .Firstly ,i have tried to calibrate the heston model. but there was a problem.
I find a matlab code from http://www.theponytail.net/CCFEA/lect02/lect02ivsurfcal.m because he use the call options data to calibrate. But i want to use the data of out-of-the-money which recommed by Carr(1999)"option valuation using the fast fourier transform". i modified the matlab code.But I was confronted with a prblem.I find the computed options price by FFT in the moneyness(ln(K/S)) interval [-0.4 0,2] is very sensitive to the parameter alpha.
firstly,i choose a proper alpha for short maturity options,the price in that intervals may be is reasonal, but the same alpha will induce weird price ,such as 1e+30, to long maturity options. so the optimization work can not work well if i calibarate one day data,because there were a lot of short an long term options in a certain day,and alpha should be constant.
secondly ,after choosing a proper data for short maturity options, if i calibarate short options only, the output parameters from matlab's function lsqnonlin is the same as the input initial parameters.
can you help me?
zip file contains: (1) one day's stock index options data of HongKong stock market
(2) my modified matlab code for out-of-the-money options
(3)two refered workingpapers
thanks very much!!!

Attachments

• heson OTM calibration.zip
    396.1 KB · Views: 48
How do you choose your value for alpha ? This is a crucial point if you want to obtain accurate prices.

Back