• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The Revised GRE

ETS is introducing a revised GRE which will be implemented in Sept 2007 (registration for the revised GRE begins in July).

The basic three part structure of Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing remains unchanged. However, they have tweaked the questions and are introducing brand new question types as well.

Furthermore, the scoring method will be changed radically. Instead of the old 200 - 800 scale, it will be 130 - 170. Scoring for Analytical Writing remains unchanged.

Other changes:

- Instead of CAT (Computer Adaptive Testing), it will be just a straight computer based testing and everyone will get the same exact questions. Also, you will be allowed to skip questions and go back to them later, which sounds good.

- There will be an on-screen 4 function calculator with square root.

Details are here.

I have mixed feelings about this. While I like some of the changes that they are making (such as the decision to make it non-CAT and the calculator), the fact that they are making question format changes throws any current efforts of GRE study/prep out of whack. The new scoring scheme is also too radically different. Finally, anytime something new is introduced, there will be "bugs". Call it a hunch.

My gut feeling tells me to avoid the revised version if at all possible and take the old test before it goes away.

What are your thoughts?

Michael, thanks for bringing this important info to attention.

I've heard rumors about this a while ago but now it's official. From what I read and the sample tests on their site, it seems the revived GRE is more quantitative and less verbal which is a good thing for all of us in this field. I had a very hard time memorize those words in a short time before the test.

I looked at the Quant questions and it seems they get rid of those easy 10 seconds questions. The new questions will be a bit longer to work out, but should be 1-2 minutes max. It's still the easiest part of the test and you should aim for 800 Quant (in a new scale of course).

Since you have a choice now either to take the old or revived GRE, you should take the one that you perform well in the Quant section. If I have a choice, I would take the new GRE because I can go back and correct previous answer, plus I don't have to memorize too many words anymore.

My gut feeling tells me to avoid the revised version if at all possible and take the old test before it goes away.

What are your thoughts?

It's always seem to be better to take the old version of the test. There are plenty of books, studying materials, software out there. New test always brings some "surprises" which is not fun to "discover" during the test. Thus, if I had to take a new version of GRE, I would probably take it in January 2008. By that time enough information should be available.

Back