• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Things I learnt from yesterday's Princeton Q&A

1. Math background is essential. They said this is one of the few things they cannot compromise on, so that the student will be able to handle the courses without struggling. They will make sure you have the right background either from your GPA or from separate extra courses that you taken. (I think the courses need to be accredited)
2. MFE is more of a industry focused degree and so they care much more about your work experience than your research experience. My initial notion was that maybe if I could get some publications it could help with offsetting my low GPA, but Lindsay said a quant job is definitely preferable from a admissions committee POV, for this degree.
3. CFA Level 1/2 is good. It gives basic knowledge of finance. Gives a better impression when looking at the broad view of the candidate.
4. GRE score is optional from this year. But better to get excellent score and submit. The director said more information about the candidate is always better than less.
5. Diversity of LORs is important. One academic. One work place. So that each one can add more information about your capabilities.
6. Princeton doesn't give a fuck about competitive coding, Kaggle Grandmaster, etc. The primary things they look at are a strong GPA, your work experience, LORs and SOP. All of the other things like achievements, extracurriculars, are on top of these four pillars, to give extra information about you.
7. The math assessment happens for 1 hour. Its computer-based and cannot be taken at any other time. 10-12 Questions on Calculus, NLA, Brain Teasers, Stochastic Calculus, Econometrics. Not super hard.
8. The interview is for 30 minutes. Its for Lindsay to meet and get to know you. Little more info in person, than can be understood from just looking at your application. She does ask about extracurriculars. They want students from all different backgrounds.
9. They say the small size of their program is very important. The number of students they take in is limited to 30-40 and that is the "beauty" of Princeton.
10. Career service is strong. Some students come in every week to talk to Lindsay, the career incharge. She knows what's going on with employers and works with them to create a great fit for the story of the person.

Hi @benzenephi,
I had a question, just wondering if it was discussed in the session.
Can one submit 2 work lor and 1 academic lor ?

On their website, they have mentioned that they accept one of the letters from a current or former employer.

Back