• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thought I Bombed The Onsite Interviews, But Was Invited To Dinner Afterwards

Hey folks,

Last week I had some onsite interviews with a prop shop for a Quant Trading position (entry level), they mainly asked code related questions (C, polymorphism, etc) which I was not really prepared for as I expected more Maths/Brainteasers (One interviewer asked me some question about an LSTM in my resume which I wasn't able to explain on the spot, which for me would be eliminatory).

Nevertheless, in the end, I went to dinner with a senior quant and trader. During the dinner, one of them asked me how I thought interviews went, so I replied "I don't know, you never know what the interviewer really expects from you", and he replied, "I see what you mean, but if you are here with us it should be a good sign right", on the way back to the train station I asked a guy what is the policy for dinner after interviews and apparently they don't go to dinner with every interviewee.

Yeah, idk why I am doing this post just wanted to share that experience, I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

(Europe position, so English might be approximative)

You only stated which questions/topics you were not able to answer/explain, but there must've been a lot more questions that you probably would've nailed during the interview. Being invited to the dinner is definitely a good sign as they must've wanted to know you better.
Hope you get the offer. Good luck!

You only stated which questions/topics you were not able to answer/explain, but there must've been a lot more questions that you probably would've nailed during the interview. Being invited to the dinner is definitely a good sign as they must've wanted to know you better.
Hope you get the offer. Good luck!
Yeah I guess, hope so!

Hey folks,

Last week I had some onsite interviews with a prop shop for a Quant Trading position (entry level), they mainly asked code related questions (C, polymorphism, etc) which I was not really prepared for as I expected more Maths/Brainteasers (One interviewer asked me some question about an LSTM in my resume which I wasn't able to explain on the spot, which for me would be eliminatory).

Nevertheless, in the end, I went to dinner with a senior quant and trader. During the dinner, one of them asked me how I thought interviews went, so I replied "I don't know, you never know what the interviewer really expects from you", and he replied, "I see what you mean, but if you are here with us it should be a good sign right", on the way back to the train station I asked a guy what is the policy for dinner after interviews and apparently they don't go to dinner with every interviewee.

Yeah, idk why I am doing this post just wanted to share that experience, I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

(Europe position, so English might be approximative)
The only thing I am dedicated is to program and develop in C++. I am certainly sure that I would not be able to survive to those interviews to prove my proficiency in the language. No way

Last edited:
The only thing I am dedicated is to program and develop in C++. I am certainly sure that I would not be able to survive to those interviews to prove my proficiency in the language. No way
yeah I mean it is the way it is I ain't gonna change anything

Back