• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thoughts On My Chances At Mfin For Schools Like Princeton, MIT, NYU?

I'm currently applying to masters in finance programs, with MIT, Princeton, and NYU, CMU, Columbia, as my top choices. I wanted to know if my chances are decent:

• GRE: 169 quant/168 verbal/6 writing
  • 3.8 GPA from a top school (think Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) but degree was in the humanities.
  • Worked at a top hedge fund for 1 year straight out of school. Left to take a few courses in math at good universities (e.g. linear algebra, probability, etc) to get ready for the masters in finance/be qualified. Expect to get either three As or 2 As and a B+.
  • Strong recommendations from a pure math professor and a econ professor in high level courses where I did very well (just didn't take many of that sort) attesting to my quantitative strength.
  • Otherwise, very strong extracurricular accomplishments from undergrad (national/global recognition) but also humanities adjacent.
I realize I'm a bit of an oddball candidate. My understanding is that many MFin applicants are from abroad, study quantitative subjects, are sometimes looking to get a brand name on their resume so they can go to a hedge fund. I am from the US, studied a non-quantitative subject, and am coming from a hedge fund and a brand name school. I am taking courses now to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. If I do reasonably well in these courses, given the rest of my record, what would you say are my chances?

Last edited:
I'm currently applying to masters in finance programs, with MIT, Princeton, and NYU as my top choices. I wanted to know if my chances are decent:

• GRE: 169 quant/168 verbal/6 writing
  • 3.8 GPA from a top school (think Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) but degree was in the humanities.
  • Worked at a top hedge fund for 1 year straight out of school. Left to take a few courses in math at good universities (e.g. linear algebra, probability, etc) to get ready for the masters in finance/be qualified. Expect to get either three As or 2 As and a B+.
  • Strong recommendations from a pure math professor and a econ professor in high level courses where I did very well (just didn't take many of that sort) attesting to my quantitative strength.
  • Otherwise, very strong extracurricular accomplishments from undergrad (national/global recognition) but also humanities adjacent.
I realize I'm a bit of an oddball candidate. My understanding is that many MFin applicants are from abroad, study quantitative subjects, are sometimes looking to get a brand name on their resume so they can go to a hedge fund. I am from the US, studied a non-quantitative subject, and am coming from a hedge fund and a brand name school. I am taking courses now to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. If I do reasonably well in these courses, given the rest of my record, what would you say are my chances?Y
you can contact the admissions office of most programs to first of all see if you fulfill the requirements regarding any prerequisites. If they give you their approval, I think you have a strong profile to apply and be considered.

Back