• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thoughts on resume structure

I am a soon to be Master in Applied Math (somewhere between july and august). I would like your thoughts on my resume structure.
I have chosen to include these paragraphs in my resume (targeted to quant jobs in London offices):
0. Name, adress, phone number as my headline (pretty standard)

1. Education: Facts about my bachelor and master programs but I don't mention which courses I have taken. I only mention my thesis

2. Work exprerience: 3-4 lines abut my job as student market risk analyst (NOT a quant position) at SEB in Sweden

3. Projects: Here I mention 4 major projects I have done at university and one outside. These are projects in Portfolio Optimization, a big project in a Machine Learning course(non financial), Developing a Trading Strategy (outside of university) and project on Volatility modelling. All projects focused on the coding part which i Mention

4. Technical skills: Here I list some of my technical skills like: Numerical PDE solving, statical modelling, theoretical finance knowledge etc and which programming languages I have worked with

It is one page exactly (that's why I could find space for listing some of my courses)

Furthermore I have these question:
  1. Should I include a picture at top?
  2. Is it important that everything fits to one page?
  3. Should I include a "Profile" paragraph at the beginning where I introduce myself and sum up my skills and my ambitions? I was thinking it is unnecessary because that is what a cover letter is for.

I am rather after your thoughts than the "truth" so please send as many comments as possible.

Thanks

Furthermore I have these question:
  1. Should I include a picture at top?
  2. Is it important that everything fits to one page?
  3. Should I include a "Profile" paragraph at the beginning where I introduce myself and sum up my skills and my ambitions? I was thinking it is unnecessary because that is what a cover letter is for.
  1. No.
  2. Yes. Declaration of Independence: 1 page. Magna Carta: 1 page. Your resume...
  3. I never read these profiles.

This is still relevant for me. If anyone else want to give an advice or two it will be very much appreciated :)

Ken nailed everything. Get rid of Profile unless you are making some serious career change and need to explain yourself.

I personally like putting technical skills at the top. Few people get to the bottom of the resume and aren't these skills what you would like to highlight the most? Maybe right after Edu.

Ken nailed everything. Get rid of Profile unless you are making some serious career change and need to explain yourself.

I personally like putting technical skills at the top. Few people get to the bottom of the resume and aren't these skills what you would like to highlight the most? Maybe right after Edu.
Thanks for the advice :) I have thought a lot of what you said. I think I am going to put Technical skills before Job Experience when applying for jobs where my Market Risk experience is not a big advantage and vice versa. For instance if I apply for Risk Model Developer then I will let my Job experience come first.

So one of the following structure:
Info, Education, Technical skills, Work exprerience,Projects or Info, Education, Work exprerience, Technical skills, Projects

Gents, this is all great stuff. Moving skills up from the bottom of my resume right now.

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I'm finishing an MS degree soon, but I have a few years of professional work experience in a different industry. I currently don't have a 'profile' section, think 3-4 sentences is appropriate to summarize why I am switching careers? Or does the MS degree imply enough? Thanks

Back