• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Tim Sykes - An American hedge Fund

Tim,

Thank you for answering the questions.

As part of watching Wall Street warriors at Baruch, we had an exercise for which we had to decide whom we would trust our money to invest. I think you'd be pleased to know that quite a few people chose you!
Personally I didn't, but now I might change my mind. :)

-V-

Ha, after you read my book, I think you'll be quite happy with your first answer. Some people are fine with taking on excessive risk, me included, but the key is that you need to understand what you're getting into before it's too late, and hopefully through the detailing of both my successes AND failures, I can help others understand this.

Tim
Author, An American Hedge Fund

Tim, I only saw Warriors, and that's how I know of you. I was just wondering if you can think about your mentality and perception of the business when you just started out, and talk about how that has evolved over the years. How would you say your strategies changed... etc.

Tim, I only saw Warriors, and that's how I know of you. I was just wondering if you can think about your mentality and perception of the business when you just started out, and talk about how that has evolved over the years. How would you say your strategies changed... etc.

You know I get asked questions that so often, and that's why my book covers everything, my trades, my experiences, my market education and my evolution.

Tim
Author, An American Hedge Fund

Fair enough, I went ahead and bought the book online just now.

Gotta say, it would be great if you could come in and speak sometime. I saw the dvd just two weeks ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. I hope you and Dan can make concrete arrangements.

Sykes Closing Failed Cilantro Fund: DOWN -37%

But Cilantro has suffered major losses, and in his new book, "An American Hedge Fund," Sykes slams the market, writing: "I would like to thank the thousands of inept corporate management teams, shady brokers, boiler rooms, stock promoters, market manipulators . . . for your endless scheming and undying greed without which my fortune would never have been possible."

Sykes Closing Failed Cilantro Fund: DOWN over -37%:

Is Sykes giving up the Cilantro Fund farce Oct 1, so he can give details of the Fund trades to his "fans"? (why would anyone want to know how his Fund returned <1%/yr since 2003 ??)

After losing over one third of their money, I feel sorry for Sykes poor investors.... I guess Tim is only good for more wacky "entertainment"?

FT Alphaville » Blog Archive » Tim Sykes has a fund only a mother could love

Sykes Closing Failed Cilantro Fund: DOWN over -37%:

Is Sykes giving up the Cilantro Fund farce Oct 1, so he can give details of the Fund trades to his "fans"? (why would anyone want to know how his Fund returned <1%/yr since 2003 ??)

After losing over one third of their money, I feel sorry for Sykes poor investors.... I guess Tim is only good for more wacky "entertainment"?

I actually would like to know his experiences. Remember that "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." So it is always good to learn from sombody's mistakes if they are willing to share their experiences.

Tim,

Many thanks for taking the time out to share your experiences with us. I wish you the best of luck and waiting for the big news you are releasing Nov 1. 2007.

Tim, thank you for coming to Baruch and sharing your positive energy with us.
I think, you would become a millionaire whatever you do in your life.

-V-

Turning 12K into 1.65 million is pretty good even in the dot.com era.

But it is amazing that quants are interested in discretionary traders.

All they do is detach their emotions when trades go bad, think objectively, buy dips and short tops and buy stocks going up, sell stocks going down.

Most people can't do all of this all the time without freaking out and blowing up their account once a trade goes bad and detaching themselves from their normal objective trading strategy because trades have a way of going bad sooner or later, and that's where quants come in.

So the successful trader is definitely a work of art, yet quants would have little to learn from people who trade with discretion. JMO

Back