• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

time series methods and derivative pricing methods

I wanted to see where each of these methods are used and where they crisscross. For example, I heard that derivative pricing does not concern itself with future prediction like time series does, but perhaps it can use volatility information from GARCH models. Is it true that the field of derivative pricing is short term hedging, while time series is long-term arbitrage. I will appreciate is somebody points out the relations between the two approaches and where both are used simultaneously.

I wanted to see where each of these methods are used and where they crisscross. For example, I heard that derivative pricing does not concern itself with future prediction like time series does, but perhaps it can use volatility information from GARCH models. Is it true that the field of derivative pricing is short term hedging, while time series is long-term arbitrage. I will appreciate is somebody points out the relations between the two approaches and where both are used simultaneously.

You may find the attached PDF useful.

Attachments

• Stochastic Processes Toolbox.pdf
    867.1 KB · Views: 74
I was aware of the volatility models (Jump-Diffusion and, obviously, GBM), but the mean-reversion sections are new to me. Very interesting! Thanks Sanket.

An edge over the crowd can be earned if you price a derivative better than someone else. this is particularly true for options where the volatility forecasting is a crucial factor for traders.

the BSM model is quite obsolete and you should look at asymmetric GARCH models, Heston model or the Chen model if you really want to understand how to use volatility.

Back