• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Time Series stats on Wall Street employment, quant employment

Can anyone suggest where I might get numbers that give an indication of the demand for MS Finance Engineers versus output by MS Financial Engineering programs?

For example, some fraction of a time series of total Wall Street employment might give an indication as the increase in quant employment (though it probably cycles with an upward trend).

Similarly total hedge fund employment.

I guess that a rough guess as to output would be about 20 times the number of programs. Thanks,

Larry:-k

Hey Larry,

Welcome to Quantnet!

Honestly I cannot provide any statistics regarding quants supply/demand and hiring.
If you did not read this article, I recommend you to do so. It may partially answer your questions.

Demand for Quants Surges as Trading Requires More Math and Programming Skills by Advanced Trading

You can also read some opinions on this thread
Demand for Quants Surges - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

I personally especially appreciate Andy's and DominiConnor's opinion, who always post insightful comments.

Is the purpose of the question being used for some scientific research ?
Data is hard to get and sometimes secretly guarded. To get the number of yearly output from all the programs, browse through websites of of each program, look at the stats or call them up and ask the director.
2 years ago, people seem to agree that there are about 1000 mfe students graduate each year in the US alone. Now, 2 years later and the number and popularity of those program increase greatly so I would guesstimate it around 2000+ each year.
Each of the big farms like UCB, CMU, Columbia enroll 60-80 students each year so NYC programs only already put out close to 500 graduates each year.

Now if you want to know the demands, then you need to contact the headhunters and the HR people at all the firms on wall street, main street and small street.

If you need this data for some research and hit the phone and web hard. Or do you need the data to justify before going to an MFE program ?

I like to see how you come up with number 20. Remember that the quantitative hire pool includes PhDs, CS, math students as well.

and i think we should take into account large amount of PhDs with varying majors( like EECS/Math/Phy/ even Chem) are looking for quant jobs now. The empty seats for MFE are not a very big number.

Back