• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Time vs. Quality of an MFE program

I'm currently a rising undergrad junior and am planning on applying to MFE programs upon my graduation. I have two main options for MFE programs and wanted to get some input on what you guys think:
(1) My first option would be to go to Claremont Graduate University's MFE program which is affiliated with my college. I have already started taking courses at this MFE program, and if I attend it upon my undergraduate graduation, I should at this rate be able to finish the program in one semester. However, from these threads and other forums, I have gathered that this program is a "second tier" program.
(2) My second option would be to apply to programs that are generally considered to be first tier, such as the MFE programs at the University of Chicago or Columbia University. If I went to these programs, I would most likely have to spend the average 2-3 semesters.

So, I could go to an alright program and complete it over a summer or I could try to get into a great program, graduate later, but also most likely start off with a higher salary and better job. What would you guys do? Thanks for the advice,

Time should not be a criteria for choosing your education. This defines the start of your career, you want to make the best decisions. If you are in school 2, 3 years more than some of your peers, nothing is lost. Learn to cherish those times.
Apply to the best programs (in your opinion) and strive to be accepted. It takes years to have a basis for quantitative finance. A strong MFE program will provide a good start.

Back