• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Too Late to Apply to Baruch and CMU?

Sky

I am considering applying to Baruch and Carnegie Mellon for the 2012 school year. I know Baruch's deadline is April 1st, and accept / reject letters are sent out by April 15th. I also know that CMU's deadline is April 23rd, and accept / reject letters are sent out by June 18th. Even though I could apply to both programs right now, does anyone know if this will be a waste of time? That is, should I wait for the next school year, as almost all accept / reject letters have been sent out by now?

Did you take the GRE within the past 5 years? Have you written the essay? Do you have at least an unofficial copy of your college script? Do you have recommendations all ready to send? If yes to all of the above, then you can still apply (Baruch). I don't recommend it though, as I don't believe in rushing something as important as a college application.

The essay alone took me 3 months to craft (until I was 100% happy). One year isn't that long, after all, if you rush and screw up, you would have to wait another year to apply anyway.

All of that applies to me. However, I was thinking more along the lines of whether it's a good idea to apply now or for next year. I applied to Berkeley during round 4 this year. At first, they put my application on hold, and then they put me on the waitlist. I took all of their pre-MFE courses that they wanted, and I still didn't get in. I'm just wondering if I will run into the same situation with Baruch and CMU (that is, I'm applying late, so I probably won't get in because all of the spots are taken already, even though I'm applying before the official deadline).

All of that applies to me. However, I was thinking more along the lines of whether it's a good idea to apply now or for next year. I applied to Berkeley during round 4 this year. At first, they put my application on hold, and then they put me on the waitlist. I took all of their pre-MFE courses that they wanted, and I still didn't get in. I'm just wondering if I will run into the same situation with Baruch and CMU (that is, I'm applying late, so I probably won't get in because all of the spots are taken already, even though I'm applying before the official deadline).

For Baruch, there is no quota so there won't be a case of "all spots are taken". If you are qualified, you will be given interviews. So if you have all the ducks in order, do apply. I don't know anything about CMU so this only applies to Baruch.

One part of Baruch's application asks about skills for graduate assistant positions. However, I also read on Baruch's FAQ website that there are no assistantships available for the MFE program. Should I even bother filling this out?

Not necessary.

And good luck on your application!

Back