• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Top tier math PhD necessary?

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find a thread:
If one has a math PhD, does it need (or most nearly need) to be from a top school to compete on the job market? I've been offered a spot in PhD program ranked about 100. There would be a LOT of personal perks to the location, and my intended adviser is highly interested in exactly what I would want to research, and there would be a lot of freedom to learn and do what I want (obviously my research interest would be financial markets...).
I am, however, currently in a master's program in math at a Big 10, which I'd finish next school year, after which I'm sure I could get into a top 30 department (maybe top 10?) for a PhD. Would attending the much lower ranked school be enormously detrimental on the job market?

Last edited:
IMO it would depend on where you look for jobs. If the school where you're going to get PHD has an okay brand name locally, you will be fine. If you need to go to bigger cities for jobs where your school is little known, very often your PHD degree will not be as much valuable. If you are determined to pursue PHD and have chances at better schools, I suggest don't sell yourself so quickly.

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find a thread:
If one has a math PhD, does it need (or most nearly need) to be from a top school to compete on the job market? I've been offered a spot in PhD program ranked about 100. There would be a LOT of personal perks to the location, and my intended adviser is highly interested in exactly what I would want to research, and there would be a lot of freedom to learn and do what I want (obviously my research interest would be financial markets...).
I am, however, currently in a master's program in math at a Big 10, which I'd finish next school year, after which I'm sure I could get into a top 30 department (maybe top 10?) for a PhD. Would attending the much lower ranked school be enormously detrimental on the job market?
im from around 100. still fine. just work hard and never give up.

Back