• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MMF - any recommended computer?

Hi, I will be starting the Master of Mathematical Finance program at U of T this August. Does anyone know what computer I should purchase? I am used to using Mac computers, but I am wondering whether it will be compatible with all the software we will be using in the program. I know that Matlab runs just fine on a Macbook, but if there are any other programs we will use then I might look into buying a different computer. Also - any advice on which PC model is the best?

I was going to link to a cautionary thread, where a couple of students alleged to have been badly harmed by that program. The point being that you may want to limit spending but also go for a very durable model. I still have my laptop from 5 years ago when I was an MFE student. I can write code on it, but it overheats and shuts down as soon as I try to compile.

Anyhow it seems that the thread has been erased! Unless I missed it, I find this censorship very disturbing. 1) Because it is censorship. 2) I took the time to contribute to the thread, and had my work erased. 3) This is highly relevant information (even if hearsay) for prospective MFE students who rely on this site to make major life decisions.

No censorship here, there are many differing views at QuantNet and people can agree or disagree (this happens in almost every thread) but I've never seen anything get deleted. Some people can be more arrogant than others, give worse answers, but the point of a forum is to give opinions and information on what one has been through already.

Hi I was a recent graduate from U of T MMF program. Primarily we'll be using Matlab. Not an issue in having Mac. If upgrade is necessary, I will go for better processor since some projects especially those that involving massive MC simulation plus trial and error will takes significant run time before it finalized.

I recently had my old mac stolen, but apart from a dead hard drive (can't really blame apple for that) the thing worked great for ~5 years. I purchased another MBP off Apple's refurbished store. I would highly recommend you check it out. I saved around $600 on a beast of a laptop

Hi,
Below is my profile.Can anyone please let me know if i will receive an interview call from MMF (UofT)?
Electrical and electronics engineering.
Under graduate percentage - 80%
4 years working experience with one of world's top retailer.
School final percentage - 93%

Back