• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trader Interview Help

Hey guys I got to the final round for a trader position at a prop trading firm based in Chicago (mainly market making). I am still in undergrad and do not have much experience with trading. Could you please point me to the right material I should be studying? Any other tips on interview questions would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Here is the job description
  • Pricing and trading options and other financial products
  • Entering into and managing positions for which you are responsible
  • Developing, maintaining, and enhancing trading models
  • Researching new market opportunities and analyzing current market trends

Learn at least one programming language. There's only so many securities one human being can watch.

IMC Chicago!
Haha I knew this would happen! Though do you mind to share what you have heard about IMC?

Learn at least one programming language. There's only so many securities one human being can watch.
I am an engineering student, so I am not too concerned with programming and math. The finance part is what I am worried about... Any resources you know that teach about market making or something similar?

Thank you for all the help!

My mate works for them at the Sydney office. Similar package with other market making firms here. Although they like to say that programming skill is not essential (just preferred), but most of the graduate traders recruited were proficient in at least one of C++ and VBA. You have to pass a series of arithmetic tests for the early round and also a trading simulation.

Haha I knew this would happen! Though do you mind to share what you have heard about IMC?

I am an engineering student, so I am not too concerned with programming and math. The finance part is what I am worried about... Any resources you know that teach about market making or something similar?

Thank you for all the help!

How'd the interview go?

Back