• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading at Wall Street by 2016-17

Hello guys, myself Rahul from Mumbai, India. I am 24 years old, a Mechanical Engineer by profession. Talking about my profile its a bit worse. I took 7 years to finish my 4 year Mechanical Engineering course due to arrears in between. I had completely lost interest after joining it. Now I am really interest in working with the Finance Sector (of course Financial Trader is the ultimate aim) But have no much exposure to Finance world. What are my chances of landing up in a good university for Masters in Financial Engineering so that I get a good job and have the dream of working on the Wall Street. I know I have done mistakes in my past but I really do not wish to do any such casualness further. I really want to revive my career now and od something good now. Please guide me guys. Thank You in Advance.

Why are you writing this is so many topics @Rahul Jaikar. I think it's a shame to spam so much.

If you have a good GPA, you could land a MFE on a good university, but i think the odds are against u, and you should write an exceptional application to get applied.

Well I don't think that's entirely true. A bad GPA isn't so much of importance considering that most universities look at specific math, statistics and programming courses in your degree. Though, I believe it's helpful if you have an exceptional GMAT or GRE score that makes you stand-out and of course a really strong application and cover letter.
But the admission process depends on the university you are applying to. You should target some of the programs you like the most and then simply ask them what you need to do in order to achieve admission, what are the prerequisites etc... Personal research will help you break down a good strategy :)

@Pavlos Sakoglou If you have used almost double the time finishing a degree and still have bad grades, there isn't so much talking in your favor in my opinion.

But well, he don't tell anything about GPA, GMAT, GRE, experience etc., so of cause it's hard to give any advice. But it would never hurt anyone to try, so if this is his dream he should go for it.

yeah that makes sense, but there so many people who start over you know. I think that if it is his dream, he will find a way. Worst case scenario, self-studying and becoming an expert on subjects you like is a choice. I have a business major and I learned biostatistics and thermodynamics (the basics of course) from coursera just for the hell out of it. You know what I mean.

One can dream but gotta be realistic. Getting a trading job at one of the bulge bracket Wall Street firms is one of the most competitive job, even for people with all the credentials in the world.
What @Rahul Jaikar needs is some background reading from our master reading list, beef up on his technical (programming/quant finance, etc) and take it from there through networks, formal education or by trading his own capital. Most successful traders have their own shops.
OP is young and has big dreams. Time is his biggest asset class so he can do what he wants, just some guidance and discipline. Whatever he wants to learn, there are many free resource online available at his fingertip. Landing here at QuantNet is a big first step.

I agree with @Andy Nguyen , all it really takes is time and commitment (as well as thorough research and planning) and you can do it.

On another note @Rahul Jaikar , please don't post the same thing on each discussion, it's kind of disrupting the the flow of the community. Thanks!

I apologise for the same for posting it in multiple threads. I am totally new to this forum and so didnt know what exactly need to be done to handle this forum. I have understood aa little bit of it now and will not repeat this again. Please guide me what should be the steps that I need to be taking now. @Andy Nguyen @evan guggenheim @Pavlos Sakoglou @Kann

Why are you writing this is so many topics @Rahul Jaikar. I think it's a shame to spam so much.

If you have a good GPA, you could land a MFE on a good university, but i think the odds are against u, and you should write an exceptional application to get applied.
Sir my GPA is coming out to be 3. Not that great.

@Kann Sir my GPA is just 3 thats what I am concerned about. I really have the interest in Finance world and want to be a part of it. Can you send mail me a good format of the application letter regarding it please if you dont mind? So that I can also refer that and add value to it so that the application gets accepted? Also can ou tell me which are some good universities which will definitely land me up with a good job if I work hard and learn things in the 2 years period time. Would be very kind of you for this newbie. Thank You in Advance. :)

@Kann Sir my GPA is just 3 thats what I am concerned about. I really have the interest in Finance world and want to be a part of it. Can you send mail me a good format of the application letter regarding it please if you dont mind? So that I can also refer that and add value to it so that the application gets accepted? Also can ou tell me which are some good universities which will definitely land me up with a good job if I work hard and learn things in the 2 years
period time. Would be very kind of you for this newbie. Thank You in Advance. :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+format+of+application+letter

This is absurd.
Read the forum.
No one is going to feed you this information (because you have as much access to it as I do). If you are not able to answer these little questions yourself, I don't see you landing a job.

@Kann Sir my GPA is just 3 thats what I am concerned about. I really have the interest in Finance world and want to be a part of it. Can you send mail me a good format of the application letter regarding it please if you dont mind? So that I can also refer that and add value to it so that the application gets accepted? Also can ou tell me which are some good universities which will definitely land me up with a good job if I work hard and learn things in the 2 years period time. Would be very kind of you for this newbie. Thank You in Advance. :)
My advise will be to spot key-courses and prepare yourself. Then try to get into a finance program and then you will get a job. You can do it in two years. There is nothing you can't learn in that time to a certain level if you are really commited. Only you know what is possible or not for yourself. No-one can tell your limitations but you and your motive.

Check this as a start:
http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-program/ (read carefully)
https://www.coursera.org/courses (search for finance, financial mathematics, risk management and try to get certificates etc)

And a small hint (it's not a universal thing but it is important): get a high GMAT score. I know plenty of people with a crappy GPA who are now in MIT and Yale :) It might open you many doors.

Last edited:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=good format of application letter

This is absurd.
Read the forum.
No one is going to feed you this information (because you have as much access to it as I do). If you are not able to answer these little questions yourself, I don't see you landing a job.
It isn't that easy to search everything alone, especially if it is your first time getting into that particular field. It might be frastruting and confusing. It took me months to figure out everything myself and I think the purpose of this forum is to help people save time for long and time-consuming research. You only reply to help someone, and this guy clearly needs some help. So with respect to the forum, only serious answers please.
*It is true that the forum material is super enough to get all the answers you want.

As I mention before, it may be overwhelming for OP but he needs to start somewhere. I already pointed to the QuantNet Guide (admission advice, list of programs worldwide, career guide, etc). He should take that first step and ask more focused questions after done with his first assignment, then people are more likely to jump in to help.

I think Completing CFA will help u to strenghten ur application.. also there are certificate programs in uni of washington and uni of minnasota (Online programs).

I think Completing CFA will help u to strenghten ur application.. also there are certificate programs in uni of washington and uni of minnasota (Online programs).

CFA for trading? Least likely.

Sorry i didnt mention that i was suggesting CFA as a preparation For MFE programs

Back