• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading Interest Rate Swaps

Hello, I'm curious about how IRS are actually traded.

Does every trade result in the creation of a new IRS, or are IRS passed along?

For example, if I entered a vanilla swap with fixed coupon S with party A and then took the opposite position in an identical contract with party B, am I creating a second contract with party B, or am I giving my contract with party A to party B?

It seems like there must be a second contract created due to credit worthiness affecting the pricing that A would be willing to give us versus the price they would give B (and hence contracts are never passed along, they are always created anew). However, creating new contracts leads to a huge buildup of risk not accounted for by metrics such as PV01. Indeed, having no position is less risky than having offsetting positions with different parties since a default by one party leaves you fully exposed to the other, while the sensitivity to the yield curve is zero everywhere while a default doesn't occur (or if the default risk is symmetric in some sense).

Perhaps this is something accounted for which I simply haven't seen in coursework or while interning, but if it's not accounted for, banks, especially market makers, are likely sitting on far more risk than they are accounting for.

the market has already centralized most of the vanilla libor irs. as the funding/hedging/liability side of the treasury, we trade almost exclusively with central clearing houses, which are under continuous scrutinies by everybody. i think cva is still a mambo jambo...

Back