• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trying for MFE. What kind of internships should I go after?

I'm currently a math major in my freshman year, and apart from academics I'm in two finance-related clubs and I have a mail job at my school (that isn't technical, of course).

I would love to get some experience with statistics or computer science but I'm not sure how easy it is to get an internship summer after freshman year. I'd love to, though. I'm trying to learn some Python at the moment, and I read about finance/markets on the side.

I obviously can't intern at a fund or anything like that. I was thinking maybe anything computer science or stat-related would be nice. I'm not sure how to market my skills. I'm in a VBA course so that could potentially be useful.

Would anything vaguely related to finance, math/stat, or computer science be a good start? I can't expect much. I don't know what to do in my summers other than intern. I'll try to do research/thesis in my senior year.

Any advice? Much appreciated :)

You could always ask professors in the Math/Stats departments if they need a research assistant. This will get you some quantitative experience and could lead to your name on a paper if you stick with a specific project. Other than that try to abuse the career services and look/ network locally. You will need some more classes under your belt, so better suited for 2nd/3rd year. REU's are also something to consider!

Agreed, it's tough to find an internship as a freshman, try to shop around your university for a research assistant position in math/stats/CS.

i would suggest u take on some unpaid pwm internship while building up ur general "computer" skillset (very good with spreadsheets, vba, python, r, etc...)

Back