• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

TV writer seeks insight for pilot

I'm a writer in LA and I'm working on a TV Pilot that features a Quant as the central character. I'm looking for a quant who wouldn't mind sharing a few first-hand stories about trading and/or working with traders. Any and all stories would be hugely appreciated. Especially looking for stories about people new on the job or mistakes that were made, etc. but all are welcome.

I can be personally emailed at: krr211@gmail.com

All correspondence confidential.

Thanks!
K. Ray

Sounds interesting. Wondering if they could bring a "Risk-neutral Pricing Theory".:)

I'm a headhunter who has also worked in this space, my comments on this line of work are easily found here and elsewhere. (google on DominicConnor as well as Dominic Connor)

I have a good stock of anecdotes, and I admire your ambition in trying to convey this stuff to a wider audience. It will be tough, given that the punchline of one recently was "...and he thought he could find the average standard deviation for the stock". Which illustrates the naivety of a newbie quant developer.

I suspect that the interview process makes for a nice drama/comedy mix. For instance the Goldmans director who interviewed newbies in a noisy smoke filled room and made them do calculations literally on a napkin whilst he bombarded them with random nasty questions.

If successful the newbie will end up richer than his whole village, if not he has to do astonishingly dull work for mediocre pay until he dies.

Also banking headhunters are some of the worst people in the entire world, even Catholic priests look down on them. Imagine someone who looks like Danny de Vito, who thinks he's like Jack Bauer out of 24, but who holds your whole future in his sweaty corrupt hands.
In one article about my adopted profession, I relate how a real person met a headhunter who pretended to be a real person, Guest Comment: My life as a parasite | News | www.eFinancialCareers.co.uk

And that's the stuff they let me publish...

I would love to see a "Scrubs" like show about quants. Just pretty please, if you use math, make sure it's correct.

One of the plotlines definitely has to be that the quant intern gets picked on or bullied by the big cool sales and trading interns. And they're like king of the interns, until the nerdy little quant intern makes some kind of big-shot friend who regulates on the sales and trading interns -- WORD.

Thank you! I think you'd like the main character. He starts out as a Quant who takes a lot of crap from the traders but he will eventually surpass everyone and be a star-player.

That's quantastic!
There are some hybrid version that is called quant traders, those who build and trade on their models. It's becoming relevant as high frequency trading is more popular.

Just to give you some idea, Interview with Ernie Chan, quant trader and author

Whatever you do, we hope to identify with the character, and not the colorful, edge cases like in "Wall Street Warriors" series.

I'm a headhunter who has also worked in this space, my comments on this line of work are easily found here and elsewhere. (google on DominicConnor as well as Dominic Connor)

I have a good stock of anecdotes, and I admire your ambition in trying to convey this stuff to a wider audience. It will be tough, given that the punchline of one recently was "...and he thought he could find the average standard deviation for the stock". Which illustrates the naivety of a newbie quant developer.

I suspect that the interview process makes for a nice drama/comedy mix. For instance the Goldmans director who interviewed newbies in a noisy smoke filled room and made them do calculations literally on a napkin whilst he bombarded them with random nasty questions.

If successful the newbie will end up richer than his whole village, if not he has to do astonishingly dull work for mediocre pay until he dies.

Also banking headhunters are some of the worst people in the entire world, even Catholic priests look down on them. Imagine someone who looks like Danny de Vito, who thinks he's like Jack Bauer out of 24, but who holds your whole future in his sweaty corrupt hands.
In one article about my adopted profession, I relate how a real person met a headhunter who pretended to be a real person, Guest Comment: My life as a parasite | News | www.eFinancialCareers.co.uk

And that's the stuff they let me publish...
Dominic -

Dominic,

Great blog -- very direct (eh-hem), smart and humorous.

Do you know of any junior-level quants in a prop-trading dept. that would be willing to discuss their day-to-day duties and experiences? The show is a one-hour drama, and there's interest for a show like this, but it's hard to find someone in that world who has the time and/or inclination to talk about their work.

Anything you'd care to share (including stories of people who were fired and/or first day stories) would be helpful. I can be emailed directly at krr211@gmail.com

Thank you!

I suspect the trick will be to find things that seem normal to people like us, and are thus authentic, but are not what people in the so called real world experience very often.

I have some constraints on my best stories
a) because of confidentially
b) I would no longer be the centre of attention at parties if people think I stole my anecdotes off a TV show :)

A first thing to know is how the story begins

So imagine you are studying the formaiton of galaxies in the after the dark period following the big bang. It's relatively obvious that this involves solving a complex array of partial differential equations, (for a given value of 'obvious'). As it happens this involves the generation of a seriously impressive number of random numbers.

So some guy who sounds like Hugh Laurie when he's using his English accent phones you out of the blue. Whilst you're working out how he got your unlisted number you find yourself in the following conversation

HH: "You are studying galaxy formations, Alexei ?"

Alexiei "Yes, but who.."

HH:"That's good. We like people who do that"

Alexei: "are you interested in Cosmology ?"

HH: "No"

Alexei : "what do you want ?"

HH: "I want to know how to weigh a large passenger Jet"

Alexei: "what, why ?"

HH: "You do need to tell me this, and if I could ask you to tell me now please, I would be most grateful"

A: "I guess you find a slope, take the sine of the angle and multiply it by the force necessary to hold it in equilibrium"

HH: How do you change the value of the constant pi ?

A: Who are you ?

HH: None of your business

Alexei holds the phone away from his head and stares at the phone as if he expects it to bite him.

HH: I would, if possible like to encourage you to answer me now please.

A: You mean change it in C++ by casting away constness ?

HH: By using circular brackets and the mutable type ?

A: No, that's shit man, you a C programmer ?

HH: I'm so glad you got that part right, I would have been disappointed f you'd used brackets.

A: What is this about ?

HH: Banks like people who model galaxies in C++. My role is to find such people and ensure money happens to them.
Real money, or if you are good as people tell me, complex money.

Those questions are real interview Q's for investment banks, though of course I ask harder ones than that :)
And yes banks do like people who model complex systems using that type of math, and of course they expect them to be wise in C++ a language that is so difficult to use that everyone who knows it has read the story that it was invented as a joke, just to torment people.

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/Invention_of_Cplusplus.shtml

Although I've hammed up the HH in this outline, I have run conversations not very different to this, on unsuspecting postdoc students.

Another one from my own career when I was on the statistical arbitrage desk of a very large bank where we were "not in any way capital constrained". Why, you ask, am I not faboulously rich ?

Read on...
Three are two types of currency. Some are like Dollars, Pounds and Euro, having both dollars and cents, pounds and pennies etc.
Others are like Yen or Lira and inflation long ago killed the fractional unit.

So which one is the South African Rand ?
You don't know do you ? (don't cheat by using Wikipedia.)

So we were running multi currency , multi stock stat arb, and most of the traders job was just doing the trades that the computers told them. In less developed markets at this time you couldn't do much volume electronically, so we were doing pairs between a large range of currency / exchange / stock combinations, so many of them that two things happened:

1) The traders had no intuition for what the 'right' price for any given stock might be , and and so had no hope of spotting bad numbers.

2) the computers had no clue either because no one had spared the time to put in place sanity checks.
We were protected however by the systems at the exchanges, which would not accept a price that was too far wrong.

We were were having issues calculating our exact profit and loss on a daily basis. That's actually quite a common issue, some trades don't quite go through, or occasionally people put in a wrong number into the trade capture system.
However this was one of the world's largest retail banks, and the P&L of our one desk varied from one day to the next by a greater amount than the P&L of that whole retail operation.

At some level, we were worried about that, but not really as worried as someone in the real world might expect. As the Chief Exec of our division explained to me over wine, "if a girl on a cash till was $50 out she'd be fired, maybe in prison, we seem to have mislaid ten million times that", but as this was not all the scary (in this context) he wished to praise me for hiring a particularly pretty girl programmer, who just happened to have been sat very close to him. This had not been a trivial task for me.
He was a smart guy, and he'd somehow managed to get the audit manager for our group in the same trading bonus pool. To a real person that won't sound odd, but actually some here won't believe that was ever possible and I believe it's now a serious crime since her job was to stop us being bad with the banks money.

We said the computers worked. Which was true. Somehow I'd managed to say that in a way that was unquestionable , and so audit and their friends had the situation where the numbers all added up but were horribly wrong and random from one day to the next.

Turned out that the traders had each randomly guessed whether the Rand was dollars and cents or just Rand. So some were over pricing their trades by a factor of 100
Some were pricing trades at 1/100th, and by luck some actually got it right.

That means the books had the right number of shares in the pot, but we'd sometimes be selling at a penny things we'd bought at a dollar, and vice versa.

I had to sort that out, was not pretty.

The meeting where we discussed this was held in a former communications room. Banks have a lot of wires, really lots. It had reached the point where no more wires could be put anywhere because the holes, conduits et al were all full. So a big reload had happened, and they'd stripped out a load that turned out not to be connected to anything (probably). So we annexed a former comms room for meetings, and it was a really cool Blade Runner environment, lots of bits of hardware still nailed to the wall, big cables that had been cut with bolt cutters and a few impressive burns.

Banks are typically really shit about their wires, The wiltess fools who run JP Morgan's technology in London have had real problems getting reliable electricity to the trading floor, because they understand golf better than technology. It was so bad at one point that my guys who had to visit JPM's office to look after the GiltSwan, were forbidden to touch certain bits of network hardware because in my opinion they were physically dangerous. Their aircon was shit as well.

Back