• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

two interview questions

1. You have a biased coin in which the probability of getting a head is 51﹪ . Create an event out of this coin which has a probability of 25﹪

2. There is a calculator in which all digits(0-9) and the basic arithmetic operators(+,-,*,/) are disabled. However other scientific functions are operational like exp, log, sin, cos, arctan, etc. The calculator currently displays a 0. Convert this first to 2 and then to 3 .

1. 0.51 x 0.49 = .2499 (heads then tails or tails then heads)

2. I was able to get to 1/2 and 1/3 assuming the square() function is available. Not sure about this one....

.2499 != .25
Without putting too much thought into it, I would just solve the binomial distribution with either p=0.51 or p=.49 for some number of trials and successes that has "exactly" (if you can get there with an integer) 25% probability.

2. cos, e^x, x^2, ln(x) to get to 2. Couldn't get to 3 yet..

edit: x^2, x!, 10^x, sqrt(x), sqrt(x), sqrt(x), log(x) to get to 3.

For (2):

0 -> 10^x = 1 -> e^x = 2.71828 -> int -> 2 -> sinh -> 3.62 -> int -> 3

A shorter path should be available, this is off the cuff.

I wouldn't expect an interviewer to accept floor/int and sinh. I was trying to use the standard functions available on most calculators (trig, inverse trig, exp, ln, sqrt and square).

For #1:

If you can do conditional, you can do P(THTH | you get a T and H in the 1st 2 and 2nd 2 flips).

If you can't do conditional, you can just vary it by flipping the coin twice per set. What is the probability of getting TH the 1st 2 times you have non-matching flips in a set?

Coin flips are independent, so conditioning the probabilities will not change them. P(A|B) = P(A & B) / P(B), but P(A & B) = P(A) * P(B) due to independence, so P(A|B) = P(A).

Although it seems like you are trying to use future events as a condition, which doesn't work at all. I think you're trying to describe P((TH OR HT) & (TH OR HT)), which still wouldn't be 25%.

Coin flips are independent, so conditioning the probabilities will not change them. P(A|B) = P(A & B) / P(B), but P(A & B) = P(A) * P(B) due to independence, so P(A|B) = P(A).

Although it seems like you are trying to use future events as a condition, which doesn't work at all. I think you're trying to describe P((TH OR HT) & (TH OR HT)), which still wouldn't be 25%.

In my solution, A is a subset of B so P(A & B) = P(A).

THTH, THHT, HTTH, and HTHT all occur with the same probability. Pick one of them, and you're picking 1 out of 4. The non-conditional probability works the same way but gets rid of the condition.

2. There is a calculator in which all digits(0-9) and the basic arithmetic operators(+,-,*,/) are disabled. However other scientific functions are operational like exp, log, sin, cos, arctan, etc. The calculator currently displays a 0. Convert this first to 2 and then to 3 .

How about this one, which would use Euler's Identity:

(e^(πi))(e^(πi)) = 1

now x = 1

ln((e^x)(e^x)) = 2

now x = 2

ln((e^x)(e^((e^(πi))(e^(πi))))) = 3

How about this one, which would use Euler's Identity:

(e^(πi))(e^(πi)) = 1

now x = 1

ln((e^x)(e^x)) = 2

now x = 2

ln((e^x)(e^((e^(πi))(e^(πi))))) = 3