• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

U. Hawaii MSFE- Any thoughts?

Can anybody point me to a thread about this program? If not, does anybody have any insight on the program? Admission stats, etc? I'm less concerned about placement as I'll likely be applying for PhD programs following my masters.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Dan

I have been admitted for Fall 2010 but I am still waiting to hear back from other schools.
I've also been trying all i can to gather more info on the program. The inaugural class is just about to start their internships this summer. I've been told that most of them do have internships in Hawaii (for ML and MS) as well as NY, Asia, etc. Im still trying to get in touch with some current students so that I can ask some questions. Not sure how they are getting such good internship placements. The head of the program used to teach at the MFE program at NYU.
They also sent me a link to their course curriculum.

Hawaii MFE courses

mkchan

what are your stats/background?
i.e. courses taken, GPA, undergrad school and major?

thanks for the response!

U. Illinois Urbana BS Computer Engineering GPA 3.2 USF MS Financial Analysis program (2009)
GRE Q790V580. Worked in Silicon Valley doing ASIC design for 10 years.

I have been admitted for Fall 2010 but I am still waiting to hear back from other schools.
I've also been trying all i can to gather more info on the program. The inaugural class is just about to start their internships this summer. I've been told that most of them do have internships in Hawaii (for ML and MS) as well as NY, Asia, etc. Im still trying to get in touch with some current students so that I can ask some questions. Not sure how they are getting such good internship placements. The head of the program used to teach at the MFE program at NYU.
They also sent me a link to their course curriculum.

Hawaii MFE courses
I am wondering what kind of positions they hold in MS and ML, considering Honolulu is not a financial hub, maybe financial advisors in wealth management?

I am admitted by Hawaii U MFE, but it is pretty new program. Their classes more focus on finance. It is a one year program...I donot get a lot of information from its official website. Does anyone have any thoughts for Hawaii U?

I researched it but few information of HawaiI U here.

Does anyone know this class - Environmental Finance & Weather Derivatives?

Few people know this program. I even cannot find the students information online.

Actually you're gonna be forced to take the class you mentioned "Environmental Finance & Weather Derivatives" because there are NO electives which means you take the whole program as is. I think Hull has a chapter on that so check it if you want to know what kind of things would be covered in the class.

Also about the tuition, they have a scholarship so try applying to that.

i am actually impressed by the course content of the program. seems to cover quite a bit of topics

i am actually impressed by the course content of the program. seems to cover quite a bit of topics

I think it's odd they have you do an internship at the end of the program. Shouldn't you be preparing to get into a full time gig at that point. Most programs have another semester/session after the internship period.

also, hawaii would be a great place to settle down if you are able to get a semi decent offer around there.. the question becomes is it well reputed in Hawaii?

I never hear Environmental Finance before.

If I will work in Hawaii, do u think it is a good choice? With this degree, is it easy to find a job in NY or CA?

Back