• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UC Berkeley MFE Q&A (ask current students)

I everyone. I had my 2nd interview with Linda yesterday. I have been offered conditional admission ( pre-program courses )

My questions is related to the pre C++ course. What OS is the most useful to have ? I have an old mac and relatively new Linux laptop. I know I can run dual boot and get windows on either machine. Just wanted to know if it is used in the program extensively.

First of all, congratulations on the offer.

I don't think you can go wrong with either OS although I don't know too many people running the Linux system.

C++ is an important language to learn from the get-go as it provides a solid low level programming foundation and teaches good data etiquette (i.e. cleaning up after your data). You won't be using it too much during your coursework but, come the internship period, you could miss a great opportunity over not being able to solve interview questions in c++. It is not advised to try to learn it on the job like many other higher level languages.

First of all, congratulations on the offer.

I don't think you can go wrong with either OS although I don't know too many people running the Linux system.

C++ is an important language to learn from the get-go as it provides a solid low level programming foundation and teaches good data etiquette (i.e. cleaning up after your data). You won't be using it too much during your coursework but, come the internship period, you could miss a great opportunity over not being able to solve interview questions in c++. It is not advised to try to learn it on the job like many other higher level languages.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome :)

I got my answer. But, I should clarify my last statement in the original question (I have no doubt on the importance of C++)

I meant to ask if windows is used in the program. For example - are notes created on one note, or are presentations usually in ppt ( I prefer using latex and pdfs)

C++ can be done on Unix using gcc or xcode. So I shouldn't need to install Windows.

However if there are other uses of windows in the program, or if the pre course programme course requires visual studio. I will either dual boot or get a surface book.

Last edited:
I everyone. I had my 2nd interview with Linda yesterday. I have been offered conditional admission ( pre-program courses )

My questions is related to the pre C++ course. What OS is the most useful to have ? I have an old mac and relatively new Linux laptop. I know I can run dual boot and get windows on either machine. Just wanted to know if it is used in the program extensively.

Hi Sahil,

Congrats on your offer!

I'm using a Mac and we do not use C++ intensively. Mac OS should be fine. If you are interested in trading, as your future job, get a Windows system. That requires C++ more often. Plus, the trading competition requires a Windows.

Hi All,

My questions are mostly related to post-MFE opportunities for someone who already works in finance, although in a less quantitative / computer intensive area, with the following profile.

1) Engineering major
2) ~4-yr work experience in BB investment bank (buy side / sell side M&A / equity offerings with solid experience in corporate finance)
3) Solid programming knowledge (although I have not applied it a lot after college)
4) Solid interpersonal / client / leadership / problem-solving skills

Is there anyone with a similar profile who has taken the program and been able to land an associate position in trading / structured products in one of the major banks / hedge funds? Do you know people from the program who have started their own funds or any kind of entrepreneurial path?

Although I find the program very appealing in terms of content, my greatest concern is to become stuck afterwards (I know for sure that I wouldn't like to work in any IT, non-business related / technology role). I would certainly become more specialized, but apparently with less exit options (the compensation is not a decision lever for me as the salary difference to my current position would be minimal, if not negative for a while, based on the available placement stats).

Kind regards,

Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out. Your profile is very impressive, and it's great that you know your goals. I strongly recommend you talk to Linda, our program director. Drop her an email or attend one of our info sessions, please check it out on our website. Linda will be very happy to meet you.

Hi All,

My questions are mostly related to post-MFE opportunities for someone who already works in finance, although in a less quantitative / computer intensive area, with the following profile.

1) Engineering major
2) ~4-yr work experience in BB investment bank (buy side / sell side M&A / equity offerings with solid experience in corporate finance)
3) Solid programming knowledge (although I have not applied it a lot after college)
4) Solid interpersonal / client / leadership / problem-solving skills

Is there anyone with a similar profile who has taken the program and been able to land an associate position in trading / structured products in one of the major banks / hedge funds? Do you know people from the program who have started their own funds or any kind of entrepreneurial path?

Although I find the program very appealing in terms of content, my greatest concern is to become stuck afterwards (I know for sure that I wouldn't like to work in any IT, non-business related / technology role). I would certainly become more specialized, but apparently with less exit options (the compensation is not a decision lever for me as the salary difference to my current position would be minimal, if not negative for a while, based on the available placement stats).

Kind regards,

Dan
Hello Dan,

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out. Your profile is very impressive, and it's great that you know your goals. I strongly recommend you talk to Linda, our program director. Drop her an email or attend one of our info sessions, please check it out on our website. Linda will be very happy to meet you.

Hello Dan,

Thank you, Isabelle! I will be in touch with her.

Best regards,

On the website, it says
"The application for the program beginning in March of 2017 will open on December 10, 2015. We are currently accepting applications for the program beginning in March 2016. "
does that mean that if I am applying for March 2017, I have to wait until after December 10 for my referees to submit my reference letters or can they submit them now?

Last edited:
On the website, it says
"The application for the program beginning in March of 2017 will open on December 10, 2015. We are currently accepting applications for the program beginning in March 2016. "
does that mean that if I am applying for March 2017, I have to wait until after December 10 for my referees to submit my reference letters or can they submit them now?

As per the following excerpt from their application page, you will have to wait till 10th December.

Log in to Admissions. If you requested a username and password for a previous admissions cycle, you will need to re-register for this academic year.
Please note also that we are currently only accepting applications for the program beginning in March, 2016, and that the MFE Program begins in March of each year only. Please do not submit an application if you wish to apply for a different year.

As per the following excerpt from their application page, you will have to wait till 10th December.

Log in to Admissions. If you requested a username and password for a previous admissions cycle, you will need to re-register for this academic year.
Please note also that we are currently only accepting applications for the program beginning in March, 2016, and that the MFE Program begins in March of each year only. Please do not submit an application if you wish to apply for a different year.

I sent an email to admissions. Here's their response:

All unsubmitted applications will be transfer to 2017 unless they are 2 years old. You can start an application now for 2017 and have your recommenders submit their letters now. However, we suggest before you submit your application for 2017 that you review the questions and responses as there will be changes to the 2017 application.

Hi All,

I am part of the incoming MFE class and was curious about the internship & full-time recruiting process:

1) How did you go about deciding which internships to apply to? How selective can you be, in terms of applying only to roles that you are most interested in? The worst case scenario would be not applying for enough positions & being left without an internship.

2) Do students typically get return offers from their internship? This was the norm from my recruiting experiences back in college, but I am wondering if it's different for the MFE program.

Hi all! Thank you for providing so much helpful information! I just got admitted by the Berkeley MFE two days ago. (I hope I can see you amazing guys in the US:)) Right now, I am concerning about the housing issues. Could you please share your experience in housing? (For example, did you live in campus or off campus, how many of you share a house, how long does it take to attend the class from your room, and how much is the rent each month.) Many thanks in advance.;)

I have get computer science in BS,and master degree of economic.I have been broker in a security company for 2 years,and quant researcher in other security company for 3 years. This year,I have passed CFA level3 and FRM level2.I use java,hadoop,python,and R in my worktime,but I do not use matlab C++ frequently.Currently,I desired to apply MFE of ucb,how can I prepair to the application,could please provide some suggestions?

Back