• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB Interview Feedback - Bad experience.

AKG

I had my interview on 16th July 2012 and got a rejected.

My interview was started off with a couple of probability questions, and then was asked if i knew anything about programing. This was followed by a logical reasoning question.

I was not happy about the interview process because -

1) The interviewer had a strong asian accent and was difficult to understand over the phone. I had to ask him to repeat or rephrase his questions several times and still wasnt sure if i understood what he meant to ask me.

2) I was asked only about programing and quant stuff. I had already mentioned in my application that I have no programing background and would be enrolling into the prep courses. I have experience in futures and derivatives but was not asked about it, instead something that i had never worked on.

It felt to me that the interviewer was not interested in talking my interview and was only completing a formality.

has anyone else had a similar experience???

I had my interview on 16th July 2012 and got a rejected.

2) I was asked only about programing and quant stuff. I had already mentioned in my application that I have no programing background and would be enrolling into the prep courses. I have experience in futures and derivatives but was not asked about it, instead something that i had never worked on.

It felt to me that the interviewer was not interested in talking my interview and was only completing a formality.

You are not paying $225 to a consulting firm.

The admission committee is more interested in what you should have in your package, instead of what you already have.

I agree with that they are looking for specific qualifications, But when it is clearly mentioned in my application that i have no programing experience, then only asking me about the same doesnt make much sense.

Also, based on what I read in the forum, everyone was asked something or other about their resume or work exp. I am surprised that they couldn't find anything relevant to ask me . FYI, I have decent finance experience including PE and Portfolio management.

As far as the accent is concerned, I have lived and worked in US from 3 years, and can easy understand various regional accents. However, in this particular case, it was extremely hard.Hence, I wanted to know via this forum is, if any1 else faced the same issue as me.

I understand that interview is only a part of the process, and have no issues in accepting my reject. Im sure every candidate they selected had better credentials and experience than me.

As far as the accent is concerned, I have lived and worked in US from 3 years, and can easy understand various regional accents. However, in this particular case, it was extremely hard.Hence, I wanted to know via this forum is, if any1 else faced the same issue as me.
Ellen has good tips on how to deal with and improve your chance when interview on the phone. When you work in finance where a lot of people are not native speakers, this will come in handy more than once.
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ask-ellen-job-hunting-and-career-development-advice.10689/

Back