• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCB MFE vs Columbia MSFE

Which one

• Berkeley MFE

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Columbia MSFE

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters
Hello!
I have an admission offer from Columbia Financial Engineering program at this moment and am waiting for the UCB to answer before the Columbia payment deadline. Considering that I, probably, won't have much time after I get the decision I would like to understand which program is better in my case.
I have bachelor's and master's degrees in Economics in a little country in Caucasus with GPAs 3.8-3.9. I also have three years of job experience as a Financial Broker(I am still 24 though ), 2 levels of CFA cleared. I have a decent knowledge and experience with Python and R(including also ML and DL ) and good knowledge of maths with up to Calc 3, Stochastic processes, Statistics, ODE.
If I understand right from previous threads that are pretty old, the main advantage of UCB was career placement. However, I'm afraid that with bigger cohort size in last years, there might be a downgrade in this process. While on the other side Columbia MFE has more rigorous and industry oriented curriculum with not bad at all career services.
Will appreciate any help, especially from current students and alumni of these programs.

Last edited:
I applied fir UCB last year too and was waitlisted after I was interviewed twice. So, probably, I'll get the decision without an interview this time.

Actually, voting didn't make it any easier.
If you can, please elaborate a little about the reasons why you choose one or the other.

I see people are voting Columbia, but why, could someone please let us know

Berkeley has a much better careers service (from what ive heard) and so placement and starting salaries are slightly better. Columbia benefits from being in NYC. Both are fantastic but I would go with Berkeley

Back