• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UChicago MSFM vs NYU Tandon MFE

UChicago MSFM vs NYU Tandon MFE

• Total voters
Hi everyone!

I have got admits from UChicago MSFM and NYU Tandon MFE, which has put me into dilemma. I tried researching my way through the data available and could really use your opinion and votes.

My background: Engineering from a reputed institute in India, 3 years Data Analyst experience. Looking forward to pursuing Quant Analyst profile after graduation and portfolio management in the long term.

Sharing few pros and cons I found for:
NYU Tandon
Pros:

Improving placements , Location, Class size and duration, TA option, More diverse curriculum
Cons:
Higher competition in placements, Higher living expenses

UChicago
Pros
:
Reputed university, Better placements (from the forums I looked into), Faculty
Cons:
Higher class size, More opportunities in trading profiles which might be difficult for international students to secure (Really need an opinion on this one)

Also, if someone could share their views on how hard would it be to land a job in NYC after graduating from UChicago.

Thanks!

For UChicago, it seems like ~21-23% of students ended up in NYC based on the 2017 & 2018 numbers. So it’s definitely possible.

~18% had internships in NYC in 2019.

For UChicago, it seems like ~21-23% of students ended up in NYC based on the 2017 & 2018 numbers. So it’s definitely possible.

~18% had internships in NYC in 2019.
Thanks for your reply, Prokofiev. Overall, in your opinion, may I know which program would provide better opportunities?

I’m also applying this year. So, my opinion isn’t worth much. It would be better if people who graduated from those programs answered your questions.

All I can do is look at the ranking, the reported employment outcomes and the curricula. NYU Tandon ranks a bit higher than Chicago. However, if you consider the components, they’re similar.

NYU provides a list of companies and titles, but I haven’t seen a percentage breakdown. Chicago has more information. Job functions: Quant Research/Analysis 42%, Risk Management 20%, Trading 10%, Programming/Development 9%, Data Science/Analytics 7%, Portfolio Management 6%, etc. They also give the types of employers if you’re interested.

Came to know that students with no prior experience in the field may have to fight little more to land a job from UChiacgo as compared to NYU Tandon where opportunities are lot more, thus increasing the chances. Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise.

Hi guys, is there a thread where I can find the applicant profiles for UChicago MSFM accepted candidates? I would like to get an idea of a standard applicant before deciding to apply there.

Hi guys, is there a thread where I can find the applicant profiles for UChicago MSFM accepted candidates? I would like to get an idea of a standard applicant before deciding to apply there.
Hi
I am searching for the same.
Have you found any?

@Zboy @P_SRISAI As a start, the “Tracker” here on QN allows you to filter the results by program and by application result, e.g. accepted, waitlisted, rejected, so that you can obtain exactly the information you are looking for. Some posts contain more detail than others. From here, next thing you can do is just LinkedIn search “University of Chicago Financial Mathematics” and look at all the affiliated people, most will be current students or alumni.

Back