• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UIUC MSFE vs Rutgers MQF

Hi there!

My current situation:
Got admitted to uiuc mfe and rutgers mqf. My friends vote for rutgers and the eldership vote for uiuc.

What I know:
1.most ppl think msmf @ rutgers is much better than mqf @ rutgers. the former is a relatively decent program with higher reputation and better-recognized placement. As far as I know (though I may not have done enough due diligence…), proponents of rutgers msmf and uiuc mfe respectively are 50-50. So can I simple conclude that uiuc mfe is better than rutgers mqf?
2.location of Newark is relatively better with convenience and easier access to NYC, which might become an advantage in job seeking. Location can also be a disadvantage since numerous outstanding programs in NY would kick Rutgers graduate out of the job mkt. it’s difficult for me to weigh the pros/cons.
3.the mfe program at uiuc is quite new and has not gained the commensurate recognization with its engineering ranking.

What I want to know: (questions here lack logics, plz just ignore what’s my point by all the three questions together, and just choose some of them to answer J )
1. I come from MC, but don’t want to go back home immediately after grad. Which one of the two programs has relatively better overall reputation in US and can provide slightly better career opportunity? I know neither of these two is good enough, but I still want to distinguish one from the other.
2.which program can better be the springboard to a PhD? In terms of courses, faculty, etc.
3.if I want to work for HF in the future, which suits better? Chicago or nyc?

A lot of comparisons have been made here between some awesome programs. I did not hear of enough comparison between Rutgers mqf and uiuc mfe. So I just post directly my situation here and is expecting some insider to give some hints…
I would appreciate it if anyone can share any tiny little pieces of idea. Look forward to advice from everyone. The deposit ddl is just around the corner and I really need to make decision asap.
Thank you so much!!!

anyone...any advice?

nobody interested in those two programs???

I get friends doing their PhDs in FE at UIUC, none of them found a full time quant job so far!

I too have been accepted into both of these program. I spoke to the director of the Career Services for the MQF program on Friday April 6th for 45 minutes about their services. This is what I found out:

Last summer, 50% of students found internships. Because the last graduating class was in Dec/Jan of 11/12, career services is still collecting the data. What they do have is placement for the class of Dec 10/Jan 11. There were 27 graduating students, 24 FT, 3 PT. Of these, 20 sought full time jobs. Of these 20,15 had jobs by the time of graduation. The other 5 had jobs within 4 months after graduating. This year, their are 100 1st and 2nd year students. I can't remember whether this pertains to this year's 1st year or 2nd year students, but 40 students are from China and 4 from the United States. Given the fact so many students are from overseas, this can/will distort placement statistics. Until 2011, placement services were shared with the MBA program at Rutgers. No so any more. The program is building many corporate relationships. Companies come to campus for visits, presentations, meet an greets, and other networking opportunities. The career service director also told me that students have recently participated in week long shadow programs with Ernest and Young, traveled to Greenich, Conn and Houston, Texas to visit UBS and BP.

With regard to UIUC, I called their office on Friday as well to speak with somebody about their placement services. I am suppose get an email about scheduling a time with the director of the program to have questions answered about their program and placement services. If you to their website, you can see what specific companies have hired summer interns and full time employees, but nothing about percentage of students. From my understanding, most students are placed in Chicago (domestically, at least).

If your thinking about a PhD, I honestly am not sure which program is better suited for you or whether an MFE would help you get into a PhD program. However, I will say this. The curriculum at UIUC only allows for 1 elective, while at Rutgers, students select 4 or 5.

BTW, what is MC mean. You said you come from MC.

I get friends doing their PhDs in FE at UIUC, none of them found a full time quant job so far!
thanks for hint. but what i want to know is which of the two programs can make it easier to apply for a PhD.
and could you plz share more about FE or Fin PhD placement, including in the industry and in the academia, in US?

I too have been accepted into both of these program. I spoke to the director of the Career Services for the MQF program on Friday April 6th for 45 minutes about their services. This is what I found out:

Last summer, 50% of students found internships. Because the last graduating class was in Dec/Jan of 11/12, career services is still collecting the data. What they do have is placement for the class of Dec 10/Jan 11. There were 27 graduating students, 24 FT, 3 PT. Of these, 20 sought full time jobs. Of these 20,15 had jobs by the time of graduation. The other 5 had jobs within 4 months after graduating. This year, their are 100 1st and 2nd year students. I can't remember whether this pertains to this year's 1st year or 2nd year students, but 40 students are from China and 4 from the United States. Given the fact so many students are from overseas, this can/will distort placement statistics. Until 2011, placement services were shared with the MBA program at Rutgers. No so any more. The program is building many corporate relationships. Companies come to campus for visits, presentations, meet an greets, and other networking opportunities. The career service director also told me that students have recently participated in week long shadow programs with Ernest and Young, traveled to Greenich, Conn and Houston, Texas to visit UBS and BP.

With regard to UIUC, I called their office on Friday as well to speak with somebody about their placement services. I am suppose get an email about scheduling a time with the director of the program to have questions answered about their program and placement services. If you to their website, you can see what specific companies have hired summer interns and full time employees, but nothing about percentage of students. From my understanding, most students are placed in Chicago (domestically, at least).

If your thinking about a PhD, I honestly am not sure which program is better suited for you or whether an MFE would help you get into a PhD program. However, I will say this. The curriculum at UIUC only allows for 1 elective, while at Rutgers, students select 4 or 5.

BTW, what is MC mean. You said you come from MC.

thank you TRAB. very useful information. and seems that u prefer Rutgers. :)

so do you think rutgers is easier than uiuc for job seeking because of its what? its location? anything else?
and what did you mean when you mentioned uiuc graduates were mainly placed in Chicago? is it bad? i also found that information on its msfe website is quite ambiguous.

S.L- I do not have a preference for one over the other. I just happen to have more information on Rutgers than I do UIUIC. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with being placed in Chicago. All I am trying to say that if you "must" or "have" to work in NYC, Rutgers would PROBABLY serve you better. However, UIUIC is a great school, its industrial engineering program is one of the best in the country.

S.L- I do not have a preference for one over the other. I just happen to have more information on Rutgers than I do UIUIC. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with being placed in Chicago. All I am trying to say that if you "must" or "have" to work in NYC, Rutgers would PROBABLY serve you better. However, UIUIC is a great school, its industrial engineering program is one of the best in the country.

Hi TRAB sorry for misunderstanding...i have no preference for place, and not so much preference for job type. do you agree if i say job seeking based in Chicago for uiuc is easier than that based in NYC for rutgers?

thanks for being patient :)

Back