• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UIUC SOP question

In 300 words or less, describe your area of interest and what your goals are upon completion of the MSFE program.

I want to work in automated trading strategy role and would target prop shops in Chicago but as i don't have any experience and due to current job scene i would be open to all type of roles.My long term goal is to go in hedge funds and want to start my own fund in India.
P.S-This is not my sop,I am just telling you what i want to do.

My question is that in how much depth we should explain things in SOP?

If i write that i want to work in prop shops and hedge funds than they will think that i am unaware of the market conditions and i have not done any research.
But if i write that i would be willing to work in any role than they will think that i do not have any specific interest and i do not know much about the field.

I am very confused regarding this and any advice or criticism will be greatly appreciated!
Thank You

On a side note.

My long term goal is to go in hedge funds and want to start my own fund in India.

Don't mention it. Maybe it's indeed your goal but at the same time it's overused cliche and also doesn't improve the program's placement record if you move to home country.

KaiRu
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I would want to move to my home country after getting a few years of experience in the states.
But what do you think about the level of details that we should mention in our sop?

KaiRu
Honestly, i think that by only getting a real experience i would come to know that what i exactly want to do in this field.As of now i am just a mechanical engineering student, but i am sure that i want to go in the field of quantitative finance.

How should i go about this in my sop?

I mean some people have specific interest such as thew want to be an interest rates structurer, that i dont have.

Back