• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UK Msc Programs or US MS in Financial Engineering/Math Finance programs?

Hey, I am thinking of applying to several Masters program in UK (LSE Msc in Finance and Economics, OXford MSc in Finance) and several Masters program in US (Columbia MS in Financial Engineering, NYU MS in Math Finance, etc.). My goal is so that I can get a job with a consulting/ibank. Which program is better? I feel that US programs are more math-heavy than UK ones, which is good for quant jobs. But for me, I do not neccessarily have to be a quant. I can also work in the front office of an ibank without any problems. Any input is much appreciated!

so heres a question, is the US or UK program better at job placement? From what I have been researching, it seems like Columbia and NYU program are having a hard time but LSE program is like a magnet for recruiters. I could be wrong tho.

While the financial crisis started on Wall Street, the UK financial job market suffered more than the US (so much for London as the capital center of the world). This is the result of many surveys and study as reported several times. Google for sources.
Before you decide on a location, do some study on what product you want to work on, then find out which program, market offers the best training, job growth on that.
On a personal level, you better love the weather and food in London. I live in NYC and can't imagine a more exciting place.

I really can't say much about what you hear at NYU and Columbia. We make decision on fact, not rumors.

Back