• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UMichigan (EGL Honors Program)

gxr

Hi all,

As my first thread on QuantNet, I would like to know about the reputation of the Financial Engineering M.S at UMichigan.

I've recently been accepted into UMichigan for engineering and I plan on doing Computer Engineering for my Bachelors. Michigan offers an accelerated Masters program, of which Financial Engineering is one of them and I was wondering if I would be disadvantaged to work in the finance sector if I were to instead pursue a masters in Computer Engineering instead.

I was also wondering if Computer Engineers are recruited by banks at the undergrad level.

Merry Christmas,
GXR.

P.S I am a student from Hong Kong and ultimately I want to develop my career in Asia. My parents have said that the alumni of UMich in Asia is not that strong, is that true?

Review of University of Michigans Financial Engineering (MFE) program Quant Network

Just a few years ago, Michigan MFE was considered a strong program. Now, that reputation has slipped amid stiff competition from programs in the NYC area. It's true as the saying "if you don't move forward, you will be left behind".

I haven't heard much about the program the past few years, which is not a good sign from the marketing point of view. Back in 06, people would put them on the list of top choice, now I rarely see that happen.

If they have made any improvements recently, it's hard to tell.

Their location is a real handicap. The MFE doesn't have big footprint in the NYC area like other local programs.

Check with them about the accelerated thing. Many of MFE programs are not typical of master programs so getting in is not automatic as a result of a granular scheme.

Back