• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad/CE Re-tool for MFE at Baruch/Columbia?

Hi all, new here. I'll try to keep it short and sweet here. I sent an email to CAPS at Baruch and am waiting for a response, but I thought I should solicit some opinions here as well:

I am looking to build a customized CE program that allows me to complete necessary pre-requisites for the MFE. I have already completed an Honour's Bachelor's degree in Business from a well-known International business school, so I have covered the Finance requirement. While I have taken calculus, linear algebra etc, it was a long time ago. I need to re-tool in Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, and learn C++ programming. I would be looking to attend full-time, and am available for Spring 2010. Is this something Baruch can facilitate, do they offer these types of focused programs, or non-degree undergrad for this?

There are similar programs at Columbia ->
http://ce.columbia.edu/Postbaccalaureate-Studies/Quantitative-Studies-Finance-Certificate-Program not sure if anyone has anyone opinion on this one?

Basically I have all the math, programming and stats aptitude - as my work has taken me there - but I want to take official courses, and score well, before I apply to MFE, I don't think refresher courses will be enough, and I would rather be in a full-time educational environment.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Joel

Sorry I mean Continuing Education / Professional Studies / Certificates etc. Basically I already have a degree, but I need to take a non-degree or certificate of sorts in the concentrations listed above to meet the pre-requisites, and bring that knowledge back to the forefront.

It's one of those situations where if I had just stuck to what I was best at in school, rather than taking an advanced acceptance to a b-school, I'd probably already be here!

The continuing courses are a cash cow for many of these programs so realize that. Unless your employer pays for these courses, there are much better (i.e cheaper) options available.
Any CUNY college offers these course at a fraction of what you would pay at the private university continuing education programs. You can take up to a certain number of credit as a non-degree students.
You can mix and match the courses at CUNY with Columbia for better effect. I've seen many people taking the courses to meet the MFE requirements. They have the same weight regardless of where you take them as long as you take them recently and do well (a minimum of B+).

Been self-employed for 5 years (IT - designing trading programs), so I would be paying. I don't need a flashy continuing education type course I agree, I just want the standard college courses.

So are you saying tackling all the pre-reqs as a non-degree at Baruch is not recommended, or you are just suggesting mixing and matching?

Actually, it appears Baruch does not allow you to attend full-time as a non-degree student. For me being an international, the Columbia option is the most feasible, as can be taken full-time and qualify for the I-20/F-1

I'm saying it doesn't matter where you take these "standard" courses so go for the best option available. Under your I-20 constraint, you have to do it FT under a degree.
You can do the Columbia thing or you can do it at any CUNY college. Just enroll as a second degree students. You will transfer when you join an MFE program anyway. That's what I would do but if you can afford it, then do it at Columbia.
Make sure you double verify about the I-20 thing.

True, I could just start a second degree in mathematics or comp sci and just transfer. At least as far as Columbia Certificate is concerned, I verified the I-20 with their ISSO. I will likely apply to a second degree at a CUNY just in case they were wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Just following up, I am now thinking of the second-degree option. You were right, at 1/3 the cost of that Columbia CE program, can't hurt to apply.

Can you recommend programs at other CUNY colleges that would be good to apply for at the same time? I am looking at the Baruch Mathematics undergrad (best choice? There is also computer info sys, and statistics) as a first choice, but I can select several others in the application.

Thanks again!

I'm on the same boat as you are. Its either between Baruch Math undergrad or City College of New York Math undergrad. Both seem excellent.
Can other members provide feedback?

Just following up, I am now thinking of the second-degree option. You were right, at 1/3 the cost of that Columbia CE program, can't hurt to apply.

Can you recommend programs at other CUNY colleges that would be good to apply for at the same time? I am looking at the Baruch Mathematics undergrad (best choice? There is also computer info sys, and statistics) as a first choice, but I can select several others in the application.

Thanks again!

Hunter College would be good as well. Many of the advanced math courses at Baruch are only offered during daytime.

I have applied to CCNY, Hunter and Baruch full-time as a transfer for Spring 2010. Then I'm going to apply for the CUNY Baccalaureate degree: http://cunyba.gc.cuny.edu/

It will allow me to propose an interdisciplinary program of Comp Sci Math, Stats and Finance with courses from several colleges to focus on the core I want to work on, rather than a traditional degree. I can get up to 30 transfer credits from my previous degree and personal experience. Sweet.

Back