• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Computer Science vs Math ?

Hi. I have maybe a year before allying for MFE programs.
I am currently a Mech Eng major with an Econ double.

I was going to go for a CS minor but realized that I also had the option of getting a major in Math.

Which do you think has more weight in getting in to MFE programs?
1. Mech Eng, Econ, Math major + (Quantenet C++Certificate) and a couple ugrad programming classes.
or
2. Mech Eng, Econ, CS minor + (Quantnet C++Certificate) + (UIUC Netmath Applied Mathematics Certificate).

How well known is the UIUC Netmath certificate?

Basically, the question here is do you think it is better to put weight on CS education or Mathematics in undergrad level for MFE program application?

Any advice would be thankful.

I would say option #1 with the Math major because it's far easier to teach yourself some programming then it is math (also easier to demonstrate programming knowledge). Plus if you'll have a few programming classes and C++ certificate you should be good.

Ideally you want to demonstrate knowledge of both CS and Math but in your case I'm also considering Math major versus CS minor. And depending on what CS courses taken, just having a minor in CS isn't more valuable than a Math major in my opinion.

I would say option #1 with the Math major because it's far easier to teach yourself some programming then it is math (also easier to demonstrate programming knowledge). Plus if you'll have a few programming classes and C++ certificate you should be good.

Ideally you want to demonstrate knowledge of both CS and Math but in your case I'm also considering Math major versus CS minor. And depending on what CS courses taken, just having a minor in CS isn't more valuable than a Math major in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.
I am going to go for the Math major. Seems more appealing.

Back